October 03, 2008

ITB: Almond and Orange Cake

Despite the weather which is pretty much improving, to say the least, I am a bit tied up with the challenge stuffs we've been running for the club. I find myself in a midst of nailing my rear on a seat with eyes goggled to the screen, reading everyone's entry (-ies). It's a bit of a work for me because I am not really enjoying being in front of the computer for longer than 15-20 minutes while there are much work to do in the garden and farm. Hence, this can be quite fun if there shall be somebody is helping me out. But, this is my turn and I am paying for it. So here I am.

happy orchard by arfi binsted copyright 2008

I also have promised myself to submit an entry for Scott's ITB: Fruit and Nuts season. With an update from the orchard, it is close to the time we're enjoying the nashi blooms again. Last year, the pears orchard did not give us anything. Perhaps it was the hard-pruned we'd done for the trees followed by the removal of a few trees. I think this Summer can be a lot different. We'll enjoy a lot more fruits, it's promising.

Right now, we're still enjoying citrus and pretty much using them more in the kitchen. I made this almond and orange cake to suit the theme Scott has chosen for In The Bag event.

Almond and Orange Cake
Source: Donna Hay magazine. Winter, Issue 28.

3/4 cup caster sugar
170g unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbs finely grated orange rind
3 eggs
1 1/2 Tbs orange juice
3/4 cup plain flour, sifted
3/4 tsp baking powder, sifted
2/3 almond meal
thick cream to serve

orange syrup

2 cups castes sugar, extra
1 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice, extra


almond and orange cake

Preheat the oven to 170C. Prepare the cake tin. I grease and flour the tin. Don't have a bundt tin, but I have this fancy cake tin I brought from Indonesia as a gift from a friend. Make syrup by putting everything in a saucepan and heat until boiling, cook until thicken.

Make the cake by beating the sugar, butter and orange rind until light and creamy. Add in eggs one at a time and beating well while adding in, add in orange juice, beat again until well mixed. Fold in the flour sifted with baking powder which I did 3 times, mix well and then add in the almond meal. Spoon into the cake tin, level and then bake for 45 minutes, when you test with the skewer, it won't bring any batter out with it. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer it on to a wire rack. Serve with orange syrup and a dollop of thick cream.

20 comments:

Cakelaw said...

What a lovely looking cake Arfi - and those fruit blossoms are just wonderful.

Happy cook said...

Hmmmm syrup and cream, my way of eating them.
Sounse delicious

Ivy said...

Beautiful photos with blossoms. The almond tree blossoms are the same, only a bit more pink. Lovely cake and I also like the syrup you made to serve it with.

Peter G said...

Orange and almond cake is by far my most favourite cake! i love that syrup too...the outdoor pics are beautiful too Arfi.

Lael said...

I already have plans to make an almond orange cake tonight! It's slightly different from this one, but my friend requested it as a going away gift (the link is "Nigella's Orange Cake" in my recipe index, if you're curious). I'd love to try this one sometime. The syrup sounds like a very nice component.
...I wish I had nashi blossoms in my backyard too!

Farhan said...

Hi Arfi,

I'm Farhan, a Malay girl from Singapore. I love you blog and have left you an award on my blog, please come visit.

Keep up the beautiful shots and posts!

Arfi Binsted said...

to farhan: sorry, i can't go to your blog because you give me a false link. thanks for the award :) salam.

Meeta said...

arfi, this truly sounds so wonderfully delicious. i wish that plate was for me!

Patricia Scarpin said...

This is such a wonderful cake. And I'm sure it's delicious - love the flavors you combined. Aren't Donna's recipes wonderful?

Amazing photos, as usual!

Farhan said...

oops sorry, hope this is the correct link this time!

chenmarlin said...

fi, resepnya dicontek yah ingin coba bikin krn pakai almond.

eliza said...

oh, cantik bunganya Fi, jadi kepengen spring lagi.

Andrea said...

You've combined two of my very favorite flavors, almond and pretty much anything citrus. Love it!

Amanda said...

This looks so delicious!

Maryann said...

I LOVE orange cake (and the photo is so pretty)
Maryann

Passionate About Baking said...

A combination of some of my favourite flavours...almond & orange. Beautiful Arfi, & the pictures too! Happy Spring!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow making me hungry. Looks divine.

Candy said...

Beautiful! Those look simply divine.

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Delightfully fresh. Love the photograph!

Mansi said...

that looks beautiful Arfi! love the orange syrup, and lovely pic:)