December 11, 2008

Magical Biscuits in A Festive Summer


Reading Susan's review of Magic in the Middles makes me go nuts. How can I not? Chocolate and peanut butter, how can you resist? How can I resist? I love peanut butter and I love chocolate. What a great combination for an indulgence!

There's nothing tricky about making this magic biscuit, but rolling it with peanut butter balls inside is another work! I kept asking myself, did Susan just do the same I am doing? Viewing her different types of outcomes of this biscuits, I was quite confident. I just reduce the amount of sugar in the biscuits because these biscuits are going to be topped or rolled in caster sugar. I don't really like biscuits which are too sweet, like gingernuts which are available in the groceries stores. To me, biscuits should be entertaining, sexy, and luscious. Yes, you can say a luscious biscuit too, you know.

magic in the middles

When to choose the thick or thin, sturdy or soft, in this type of biscuit case, I prefer thick and soft, thanks. Hey, try this out, you'll know what I mean!

I was going to send these biscuits for the other Susan, of Food Blogga, who's currently collecting jars of biscuits from all over the world, for her Second Session of Eat Christmas Cookies Event, but then I realize Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook has already brought hers the same produce, so I am sending you this almond dark chocolate biscuits instead.

There's probably a similar surprise when eating this dark biscuit, especially when you eat it slightly warm. You have to be ready for oozy dark chocolate melt smeared your fingers or mouth. The goodness of 70% or more cocoa solid helps this biscuit arrive to another level of more than just being a biscuit. There's the sensational tingle after wards, especially when you're in the state of being melancholic. Trust me.

yummy bikkies


My entry for Eat Christmas Cookies 2 is a part of the indulgence I've had last month. I made the freshest version of course, without ground almond. My kids love them! Just look at their faces.

almond dark chocolate biscuits

Almond Dark Chocolate Biscuits

150g 70% or more dark chocolate, chopped melted with 150g unsalted butter in a double boiler or in a saucepan fitted in another saucepan with simmering water in it. Leave it until they all melted. Remove from the oven and stir to combine.

When it's slightly cooled, throw in 1 large egg, mix with a wooden spoon until well-combined and the mixture is thicken. You can add sugar if you like, about 2 Tbs-1/4 cup, according to your preferences, although I stick with the dark chocolate's sugar content itself.

Now, if you do not use ground almond, just add in 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour which is sifted beforehand, stir well. If you use ground almond, just replace 1/2 cup of flour with ground almond. Then, to make it more chocolaty, I throw in 100g chopped 70% or more dark chocolate. Mix well and when the mixture is a bit 'wet' I will leave it in the fridge for a good 15-30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 170C, roll or just scoop out the mixture with a spoon, arrange on two lined baking trays. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or 15 minutes when you want them crispier.


An update from the orchard:

Summer Delight in Store by arfi binsted copyright 2008

This is Dans Early, a variety of plums. We usually enjoy them during Christmas time. They are small, red skinned and flesh, juicy and sweet! Good entree for the whole Summer feasts! A healthy nibble while waiting for more DMBLGIT entries from you all to be in.

20 comments:

Ivy said...

Both cookies sound great. Your kids are so cute!!

Happy cook said...

Wow ilove both the cookies and the kids seems to really enjoying them. Their eys are having the sparkle when they are really enjoying something.
I made your laste years cookie from and theywere delcious.
http://mykitchentreasures.blogspot.com/2008/12/chocolate-snowballs.html

Peter G said...

Oh my! I had a heart failure looking at those cookies Arfi...they're def luscious! Hey! Your children are adorable!

Elsye said...

keliatan endang kuenya...jadi pengen nyomot :D, btw anak2 lucu bangetss...:D

Kalyn said...

Wow, are those just the cutest kids in the world! Loved seeing that picture.

Foni said...

bu,bocahmu lucu, cookiesnya boleh kirim sini nih...:)ngarep..

Pearlsofeast said...

Arfi ur kids are so adorable and cute. I love the ingredients u have used for cookies.They sound awesome.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Arfi, you are so fortunate to have such lovely children, just as they're lucky to have you for a mom. :)

Thank you for an amazingly delicious cookie. You are also such an inspiration.

Widya Hidayat said...

Mba AB...
Sarah ayu banget yaaaa....
Cute :P

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow looks soft, choclately and yummylicious. I know how irresistable you have made them by the sight of the kids eating them off.

Vij said...

Ur kids look so cute! yummy cookies arfi!

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

I like the idea of eating the cookies warm while the chocolate is melty. Your plums look great!

frizzy2008 said...

Istriku jadi semangat karena berkunjung ke sini. Terima kasih yaa, artikel masakannya mantaf dan kerennn...

Cheers, frizzy2008.
http://frizzy2008.blogspot.com

sunita said...

I love both your cookies. as for your kids, awww, they do look so very adorable :-)

Aparna said...

This is chocolate cookie heaven and the looks on your children's faces says it all, Arfi.

You're lucky to have such a beautiful garden and so much fruit in it.

Melanie said...

Your children are absolutely beautiful--the cookies too are delightful- just look at the kids' happy faces
Happy Holiday to you and yours.
Best,
Melanie

Susan said...

So glad you enjoyed the labors of my kitchen experiment, Arfi! Thanks for trying them. These are fine cookies and a big hit with the kiddies. Love that shot of your darling little imps. : )

rita bellnad said...

anak-anak tambah gede, cakep pisan fi.


cookienya 2 biji sama latte please heheheh...

Mochachocolata Rita said...

aw, jadi keinget event cookies ini...hihi masih sempet bikin ga ya....

gorgeous pictures, cute kids, and jealousy inducing garden hehehe

Jescel said...

oh, my...your children's faces says it all. my face would probably be as delighted when I get to sample those cookies. (your children are too cute!)