January 15, 2009

Books for Love #2, Garlic Power and Decadent Chocolate Dessert

I am organizing Books for Love #2 to help cancer kids in Indonesia through books and photo auctions. If you are an Indonesian, you may have a look at this page. For my international readers, the rules are similar to the Books for Love last year, however, this year I include photos to be auctioned.

Here are the guidelines:

Books Donation

- You have books (no nudity content, please) to donate in an auction and let your readers know that you're donating by blogging about it, so they'll be able to navigate when and where the auction begins and located.
- You're willing to send the book/s to the auction winner on your on expenses. You may choose to only auction it and send it to the readers in your region, if you wish. Just let me know your conditions.
- You take photo of your book/s and send the details to me (arfi.binsted AT gmail DOT com) before 26th of January, 2009 as we're going to start the auction from 26 January 2009 - 9 February 2009. I will list the books and photos here.

Photos Donation

- You have photos that are your copyrighted, printed on canvas, or photobooks, notes, postcards, or other dimensions that you prefer to do.
- You have softcopy of your photos to be produced by the auction winner.
- You are willing to send the photo/s or softcopy to the auction winner/s on your own expense.
- You send me the photo sample and details, what media it is printed on and whether it is a softcopy to my email address (arfi.binsted AT gmail DOT com), so I can list it on here.

You can also promote this event on your blog, be the bidders and bid the item that you'd like which the fun will begun from 26 January - 9 February 2009. Watch it closely! You may fetch this logo to promote, if you like.

I thank you for your kindness to help the cancer kids inIndonesia last year. I am hoping there'll be more children are helped this year as well.


I am really into a garlic person lately, flagging: GARLIC POWER!!! If it's only a few cloves used for daily-basis cooking, now I include the whole head. Roasted with thyme is really a nice way to enjoy with chicken or meat dish. It also is taking away the strong pungent flavour off your mouth. Hey, parsley works well with garlic. It is said that it helps to get rid off the smell when you chew it raw after you enjoyed garlic. Believe it or not, you shall try it.

Anyway, things about garlic, I only can eat when it is cooked. While many naturopath therapists will consider to gobble them down raw, I know I can't really fill the expectation. I like eating raw vegetables, leafy salads, or even crunchy cabbages, but please, not garlic. However, raw or not, I guess the effect will be following according to its nature, depending on the intensity and quality. My body feels the strength come up with a sudden jolt. Just like a heart start machine gives electric shot in my blood, waking up every sleepy molecule in it. Bzz! Bzz!

garlic harvest

I harvested some of the garlic I and kids planted last Winter, just a few hours before I got this fever. If you remember that I planted garlic cloves around my roses, they are ready now. I am safe from those bleached garlic bulbs sold somewhere out there. It's just amazing to watch them grow. From one clove, it developed into several cloves and then clump together to be a head. And when they are ready, they'll fatten the cloves and wilt their stalks to yellowish colour, shouting 'am ready! am ready!'. So they are.

roasted individually by ab '09

Head after head I have been eating them roasted. Quite sweet. Nothing beats homegrown veges, huh?

decadent chocolate dessert-2 by arfi binsted copyright 2009

Pity we can't grow in the backyard that cocoa bushes (can they? in NZ?), I am soooo wanting to eat chocolate right now. It's a shame it is forbidden from my menu these days while I've made this decadent chocolate dessert before the bad day had begun. I found the recipe at Foodtown Magazine, bought by my beloved before Christmas. I've been eyeing it for quite some time, until just when I've made it, I can't eat it! What a waste. I have to freeze it now.

decadent chocolate dessert

However, I managed to eat half of the slice I photographed. Half! Sigh. Well, I guess that is a fortunate that I can JUST eat half of it. Make sure you use 70% - up cocoa solids, otherwise, your pudding will not be that heavenly decadent. Here's one thing I shall tell you: be gentle because this is the most fragile cake-pudding I've ever tasted in my entire life! Besides that Gordon's molten chocolate pudding, this pudding-like cake is SUPERB and delicate. The texture is just so delicate that when you pop it on your tongue, it will melt immediately as soon as it feels the heat of your mouth. Can you imagine that?

Well, then. Try this one!!

Chocolate Heaven with Mint Anglaise

Source: Foodtown Magazine. Dec '08 - Jan '09. Issue 44. p.120.

5 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar (I just use 2 Tbs)
1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar, extra (I just use 1/2 cup)
225g unsalted butter
350g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, chopped (I used my fave Whittaker's Dark Ghana 72%)
raspberries to serve (I used the last season of strawberries from our strawberry patches)

decadent chocolate dessert-3 by arfi binsted copyright 2009

Preheat the oven to 160C and prepare a loaf tin measured 30cm x 12cm, lined (alternatively, 23cm round cake tin). Beat the eggs with the first measure of sugar until tripled in volume, 3-5 minutes. In the meantime, heat the second measure sugar with water in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat, add butter and chocolate. Stir to melt and whisk until smooth.

Pour this mixture into the egg mixture. Fold gently (I use a large metal spoon for this) until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin. Put it into a roasting pan and slowly pour in hot water to fill it up until almost cover the tin. Bake for 1 hour. When it's baked, the cake will form crusty surface but still wobbly. This is okay. Leave it in the oven with the oven door ajar until the cake is cooled a bit for an hour. Then, remove from the roasting pan, cover and then leave it in the fridge overnight.

Now, the tricky part is coming. This cake is so delicate (got no flour in it!), so you need an extra care when inverting it onto a serving plate. I tried so, but it broke half way. It was still edible, but of course, I did not expect it that way. I managed to slice this one and it also broke half way, as you can see on the photo. Anyway, this cake is worth to try. Believe me, you won't regret it (unless, you can't stop yourself from scooping it on and on--now, I can't be blamed). Serve this with mint anglaise and berries. Serves 8-12.

Mint Anglaise

1 cup milk
handful fresh mint
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 tbs caster sugar

Bring the milk and fresh mint to the boil. Remove from the heat. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well combined. Strain the milk into the egg yolks mixture, and then strain the whole mixture again back to the saucepan to cook more until the sauce is just thicken. Remove from the heat and pour into a jug. Serve this with the cake.



sunita said...

We are garlic fans too...and of the cooked kind as well ;-)

That is a decadent dessert indeed! Yumm :-)

Aparna said...

Chocolate in deseert means decadent! Looks delicious.
We are not real garlic fans, even though we're okay with garlic bread. :(
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that traditionally, we don't use garlic in our cooking.

MeetaK said...

I adore garlic too! i love the intense flavor of organic or homegrown garlic!

Now for that dessert - it does look like true heaven to me!

Cakelaw said...

It does indeed look like Chocolate Heaven!

NĂºria said...

I adore allioli (made with raw garlic) but digesting it is not fun! However, I never give up ;D

Home grown veggies are the best!

Happy cook said...

I love love garlic, i use them lots and lots.
That dessert is so yummy delicious.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Perfect name for a heavly chocolate dessert....

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

I'm so glad you reminded me about garlic. I planted a few individual cloves from the supermarket and I've just pulled one up and it's turned into a whole head. It's so exciting!

Your pudding does look truly heavenly. You've got excellent self control freezing it.

Rosie said...

Oooh chocolate heaven - just perfect!!

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

It could be just very late right now and I missed it but, the ingredients list for the cake does not seem to include butter, but the instruction references it. Could you double check for me? Thanks.

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you posted the recipe for Chocolate Heaven - I read the magazine at my parents' house and meant to copy it down, but before I could my mum had given the magazine to someone. I can't wait to try it. Your blog is great, I enjoy reading it and being jealous of your home orchard and garden!

Arlette said...

I just love your blog and all your posting, I am sure I will come back for more interesting stuff.