February 20, 2009

ITB: Passionfruit Mousse Cake

I've lost the urge to write lately. I owe you an apology if you keep coming back to my blog and find yourself on the same page. Life can be really busy out of the computer room, can't it? When you need to socialize and grab everything that gives you something else to look on and move on, how should you be avoiding such a moment? I love writing. Although I don't write on this blog, I make sure I jot down some thoughts on my Windows Mobile. Tucking my head on a little screen while plotting two thumbs on making sentences is quite like being in another world. I just can't let any thoughts slip away, otherwise, it is going to be hard to keep the track on the same pace, if you know what I mean.

tapping away by ab '09

It's been a week since I joined the Tap Dance class, where me and a friend of mine are the only adults. I meant to take my kids to do the tap, but it was my mistake to count them older enough to tapping, which means, Ben has to wait another year to fit in the class. So, okay I'll do it. I (and Rita, too I suppose) am having so much fun, loosening up and enjoying the heel-toe clicks, and shuffle the air to make music ourselves.

It's my second week to join Tai Chi class, programmed on Wednesday mornings. I need Tai Chi to balance my diet. Gentle exercise with the balance of movements and breathings are just the flows of arts as well as great benefits for my body's strength and fitness. I don't really feel like to gear myself to push kilograms of barbels, machines, or pushing my strength to develop bulky arms, so Tai Chi is the best choice for me.

Tap dance and Tai Chi can be like the opposite of each others construction of movements, but I enjoy both. I am happier than before and I am stronger than I ever feel my body has been. Do you exercise, too? I hope you do. When you feel relaxed and enjoy it, hey time to kick yourself up and just do it!

swimming away by ab '09

Last weekend, the weather was so fine and it was a celebration of my friend's daughter, she turned 6. We went to the Mairetai Bay, which is situated just 25 minutes from our place, on the way to Port Waikato Sunset Beach. The water was so shallow that my kids could not stop themselves from soaking in and swimming away. They had had fun with the sand as well, buried their legs in it and then washed themselves in the water.

Back to Grainger's family home in Te Kohanga, the children were busied with cake decorating Ellen's had prepared for them to do while adults were preparing dinner. Pretty amazing how they could cooperate while they don't see much so often. Perhaps, none of them are bully-tipe kids, but happy ones. As much as they enjoy each other, the happiness of childhood is roaring with innocent laughter without being pressured or uncomfortable with each other's company and that is good.

Rosemary's birthday2

In the occasion, we also witnessed David's new invention of barbecue pit. He used wood kindlings rather than charcoal, and I could taste the earthy flavour burned through smoke. The chicken and sausages were just delicious!

David and his new invention of bbq pit by ab '09

bbq by ab '09

So, yup. It was a bonus for me not to cook that night, we just drove back home, prepare the children to bed, read them stories, and then adults snuggled up in the sofa, watching something fun to lead ourselves to bed then, dreaming of wooden kindling and nice flavour of chicken and sausages.

And this week, we've been receiving rain most of the time. It seems that Autumn has marked its way in. The temperature was once going down cooler to 12C while we did not expect at all as we did have fun with 44C. While I am typing this post, it's been light showers, every now and then.

Right. Enough with the weekend reports, now I am taking part of Scott's of Real Epicurean event: In The Bag, which includes three ingredients: passionfruit, white chocolate, and pomegranate. And I've asked Scott if it's alright to skip pomegranate, because where in the world of NZ season I can get it? Perhaps, there is pomegranate molasses somewhere in the Middle East stores downtown, but I won't be going one and half hour away just to buy it. I live in the countryside which is quite far away from wide range of delicatessen. That's one of the reasons why I am keen on home-making everything we grow here, and that is why this blog is named. Without mention those reasons, Scott agreed. And then I did.

passionfruits harvest by ab 08-09

Back in March last year, we harvested good crops of passionfruit. There were so many of them that I needed to freeze them in trays and then transferred the cubes into a shack lock freezer bags. Then, I used them to make a cake. A sort of experiment cake, to let myself know the taste of passionfruit in cakes, mousse and buttercream. A little nib, for sure what the taste's like, for I all sort of cakes do not agree with my digestion or body muscles.

We grow passionfruits from seedlings, available from garden centres here in Pukekohe, New Zealand and plant them to trail along the fence. Their foliage so glossy green that tell us they're healthy, and right now, in late Summer, they have been flowering, developing green skin and soon in Winter, we'll harvest them again. It seems not long from the last batch of passionfruit I froze last year. Before I know it, they'll become purple again and drop themselves to the ground. When they are wrinkled, we just love to enjoy them fresh, as is or as a company for ice cream or pudding. Really, you'll get much more pleasure from growing passionfruit. I am sure you will feel the ultimate satisfaction of how much your labour is worth and rewarded. And, you help earth to be green, as a bonus. Aren't we supposed to keep everybody happy? :)

Now, the sponge I tried to make are the one with 6 eggs I made for Pineapple Upside-Down on the occasion of Taste of Yellow to suport and raise cancer awareness organized by my friend Barbara of Winos and Foodies. I was pretty well back but without being aware of what my body likes or dislikes. Right now eggs consumption should be cut back to the very limit.

passionfruit mousse cake by ab '09

I want to know if the sponge cake can be cut and sandwiched with passionfruit mousse and then topped with passionfruit and lemon buttercream. With the mousse, it is just the simple mousse ever, that of course, it includes eggs, cream, white chocolate, passionfruit pulp, sugar, and gelatin. Then the buttercream is also simple, by mixing butter, icing sugar, passionfruit pulp and a little drop of lemon juice. As you can see the above photo, cuts into squares, which is quite good eaten for either morning tea or desserts, the sponge should be just buttercake rather than soft spongy layers, to be able to support the weight of buttercream. However, it is done and it is eaten, till the last crumbs.

I have got no recipe whatsoever, but the sponge you can view on the link I provided before. Mousse and buttercream were made without measurement. I just add, adjust and taste. What I can say is that you can use your favourite mousse recipe for passionfruit mousse, only add passionfruit pulp. Or if you're keen, you can steep the passionfruit pulp with milk or cream for few hours, put them through sieve when you've made the custard to catch seeds, and then add gelatin. Cool slightly and then spread on to the layers, with baking paper to be ready around the cake, supported with loosen-bottom square cake tin. That way, you won't lose your mousse.

passionfruit mousse cake yellow-ab '09

I topped the cake with buttercream and shaved white chocolate. Would be nice to enjoy it thoroughly if ever I can eat cake again. Sigh.

There's another thing I must tell you. If you and me have known each other through Facebook, then you won't be able to find me there anymore. I deactivated my account last Friday, but I still am available on Twitter. Shall you like to keep in touch, please do not hesitate to look for me and add me as you wish. Here's my page. I might not tweet that much, but at least, we still keep in touch.

Have a great weekend!!


Vij said...

Wow Arfi! lovely clicks! hope u r enjoying ur tap dance classes & hope u guys had a blast last week n delicious looking passionfruit cake

Barbara said...

Nice to see you posting arfi. What a fun barbecue.

Y said...

Love all the photos, and what a sweet looking cake! :)

Peter G said...

Good to hear how you are doing Arfi...I'm glad that you are discovering the "balance" in your life. It's been raining here too but very humid. The cake and mousse look wonderful...take care.

MeetaK said...

good to see you are discovering the balance in life arfi. it's important! the party and bbq look like a lot of fun. the cake - well i would just love to dig in!

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

Yummy passionfruit! I like your decorations with the lavender and mint.

You make me feel guilty about the exercise. I haven't been to yoga class since the Christmas break. It is so good to relax and stretch, I must get back into it.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

I'm so envious of your passionfruit supply! That cake looks delicious!

NuKiwi said...

Come by my blog when you can to collect an award I have for you! :o)

Navita said...

Arfi...those look gorgeous!

nice idea to freeze passion fruit pulp...:)

Kitchen Flavours said...

How come in the world you get so much time to do all these things dear. Really Hats off to you. Belated wishes to the b'day girl. Cake looks droolwothy.

Cakelaw said...

Your cake looks lovely with the lavendar on top. Passionfruit mousse - mmm, yum! I did adult tap dancing for three years, and it was fun - I even did the concerts. I had to give it up when my back went nuts, but now that I am healing, you have reminded me that I should think about taking it up again.

I have given you an award here:


Zita said...

Aw...look at that gorgeous cake!
hope I can fly away to your garden full with passion fruits and eat some bbq:)

btw, selamet bersibuk ria ya mbak ;)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Hi Arfi,

Take time to check my blog for Indian Flat Bread recipe. Hope you like it.


Yanna said...

Wow your photos are GREAT!! Don't let this happen to you and your friends http://welldonechef.com/al-rosas-the-organic-content-thieftm.html

Jescel said...

Love the pics, Arfi. And that cake looks divine. I'm glad you are taking steps to be a healthier you..you make me guilty :o(

Vij said...

Yes arfi, you could try using evaporated milk but I am sure that fresh whole milk will give it the original taste.

Rice gheer n this rice pudding is almost similar except that we add almonds,cashewnuts and pista paste along with the cardamon n sugar, that makes the rice gheer thick n tastier.

Ivy said...

You don't have to apologize Arfi as we all have a life besides blogging. Anyway I think you've made up by telling us all all about your news. Your cake looks gorgeous.

Mochachocolata Rita said...

wah asyik sekali ikut tapdance class arfiiii...ikutan dunkkk hehehe. psst, aku ikutnya hip hop- yo yo!

foto cakenya dah jangan ditanya, cakep banget dan aku partial banget sama kuning + ungu hehehe

trus itu sosis gemuk2 banget pengen digigitssss

Cynthia said...

This was such a pleasurable read. It was as if you were right there chatting, bringing us up to speed with what has been happening in your life. Thanks for sharing.

Penny said...

YUM! The cake looks delightful :) Our little passionfruit vine had 1 solitary fruit on it this year that I was looking forward to. Except I came out one day to discover it had gone... little hands had picked it off. :(

I sometimes see fresh pomegranates in the supermarkets out my way (West Auckland). And the juice seems to be gaining in popularity too.

Navita said...

he he he ...that was encouraging..I adore ur blog...n u r calling mine popular...way generous compliment :p

Melanie said...

Arfi I miss you--just realized you have left Facebook. I will follow you on your blogs. I have one too so you can follow me.Have a good weekend.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Wow Arfi what great clicks! Thanks for sharing with us what is going on in your world - lovely read.

Rosie x

MiNDY said...

markisa disini kulitnya yg kuning, klo di Jerman adanya yg kulit ungu.
hhmm.. jadi pengen ikutan bikin markisa cake. sounds good.

My comfort food network said...

As usual lovely post, excellent pictures and mouth watering food. Like cynthia said, your post was like having a live chat.

Tap dancing must be fun and also relaxing in a way.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I know what you mean, Arfi. Life outside of blogging has been taking up a lot of my time too lately. I think we all understand. It's so wonderful to hear that you're taking time for yourself. That's so important. I don't do tap or tai-chi; I'm one of those weight pushers. ;) But I love it! Take care, my friend.

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

A delicious looking cake! Much better than my attempt...

Thanks for the recipe!

applecrumbles said...

That just looks absolutely sinful! Great idea and good job!

Occasional Martha said...

Wow! I could totally eat the whole cake all myself. It looks amazing!