April 25, 2009

No Place for Plagiarist in the Creative World

I was really shocked and angry when I was sent a news from Indonesia that somebody stole my photo and recipe. The worst thing is that they use it on a cookbook without any given written permission from me, whatsoever.

This is the original photo that I took for Lapis Tikar (Thousand Layers Cake made from egg whites).


lapis tikar

And I posted it here.

They downloaded my photo, cropped it, and copy-pasted my recipe by eliminating little comments in the brackets.

These are the photos that Mae took from the book.




Mine is not the only one. There are other foodie bloggers suffered the same problems created by the darn crazy people which named themselves CAM Boga (Cerdas (Smart), Aktual (Actual), Moderen (Modern)--which does not at all match with their plagiarism practice!

Budi Sutomo is an author, a famous man in the culinary world in Indonesia has also been treated the same. Have a look at his page here. He's displaying his works which were copied to become a book which is called Aneka Jajan Pasar Favorit (Assorted Traditional Market Favourite Snacks).

Vivi is the other victim. She bought a book which she found her food photos were displayed. Ironic really when she does not give any permission to anyone published it that way, let alone received any royalty. She posted her complain here.

I have contacted the publisher and have left a message on their guestbook. They replied and have promised me to take care of the issue within 5 working days. So, let's see.

If you have received the same treatment from your readers or other irresponsible people, do not hesitate to get back to them and tell them what you think. We have to stop this plagiarism by our act. Do not let them get away with this. If we do, we'll let them win and they'll do it again and again. We don't want that, do we?

Jangan Beli Buku Hasil Copy Paste

This logo is created by Ophoeng, one of culinary enthusiasts in Indonesia who also gets on the "Do Not Buy Books from Copy-Pasted" going. You may contact him if you'd like to support us.

Have a great weekend!!




Stumble Upon Toolbar


Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

19 comments:

Peter M said...

Arfi, I empathize with your plight an d sadly, there are some lazy opportunists in this world. I do hope the publisher will rectify and in the end, compensate you for your work.

Peter G said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this Arfi. I've sent you a response via email.

Y said...

How disappointing, Arfi! I hope you get it sorted out!

Kitchen Flavours said...

It is really bad....

Dominique said...

So shocking! I'm so sorry for you Arfi...

soma said...

Oh Arfi, so sorry to hear that!

But atleast you found out!! & good thing that u could get in touch with the publisher.
I always feel there should be some mechanism to protect the bloggers rights.. but HOW?

Soma(ww.ecurry.com)

Happy cook said...

I have read in other blogs that some other sites have copied their pic and the recipe, it is the first time i hear some one use it in a cook book.
How dare they do something like this.
I am waiting for the 5 days to see what the action will be from the publisher of this book.

il ramaiolo said...

Hello, I learn your post but I comprendly little because I don't speak English... Well, I want to go to new zeland in September for my wedding... what are you think? Is cold!?
thankyou!!

Arwen said...

That's terrible Arfi. I hope the publisher sorts it out. It's surprising that they weren't more thorough in checking the material in the first place.

Arfi Binsted said...

To everyone: Thanks so much for your concern. I hope things will get sorted out before I actually go to Indonesia for a holiday in May, otherwise, I might be caught in a court or something.

To Il Ramiolo: September will be Spring in NZ, perhaps will still be a bit chilly and at some parts of the country will still get frost (especially those places in South Island), but it depends on what country you've come :) Where in New Zealand are you going to go? Good luck for the wedding. How nice to have it in here.

Marija said...

I am so sorry you are going through this :( I had similar bad experiences with some newspapers :(

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, Arfi. Unfortunately, it's rampant nowadays. I do hope the situation is rectified in a timely manner or that you are at least credited or compensated.

MeetaK said...

i come across this quite often arfi - i am still fighting against Times of India for their theft. Then there are other ignorant people who just do not get the concept of copyright violations. They steal pictures and are angry at me for creating a fuss when they are caught! wishing you all the luck with this one. you might have to do the same as i am doing against TOI - get lawyers to fight the case!

Jescel said...

i do hope that the publishers will do something with this.. it sucks that people don't even have the courtesy of asking permission before using your pictures --- in a printed book at that!

Zita said...

Hadoh kalo dah begini, jadi malu sama bangsa Indonesia... habis banyak sekali korbannya... keep fighting lah mbak...let me know how it goes:(

katiez said...

Some people! How frustrating, but it's so easy for them to do it, and, sadly, the publishers, apparently, are particularly diligent about it. I hope you get the acknowledgment and compensation you deserve.

Cynthia said...

This sort of behaviour is so sickening and disgusting. It is thievery! How dishonest can people be. I hope you get some resolution to the problem.

Ivy said...

I am really sorry to hear about this and it seems to be spreading like an epidemic. You see more bloggers filling their photos with their logo in order to avoid plagiarists. Hope that you will be justified.

Patty said...

What an awful thing to go through. I know my comment is late, but perhaps you should team up with another victim of stolen content, Rasa Malaysia. She and other bloggers have had their pictures similarly plagiarized and used without their consent.

http://rasamalaysia.com/open-letter-to-those-who-steal/