May 04, 2009

Onbitjkoek



Hello from Ubud, Bali!! This week will be our last week in Ubud, Bali before we touch down on the land of Kiwi on early June. I wrote this post before I went, to meet the deadline for KBB-11 task :)

Onbitjkoek-2 by ab '09

KBB #11: Onbitjkoek

Indonesia, my home-country, is rich with culture diversity which covers most of lifestyles in every region. On one part of the island, you may well be eating similar shape or flavour of a meal while you are miles apart of another island. This culture is shared nationwide and it shall not be a surprise.

Lapis Legit, for example, can be either found in Sumatra or Borneo with same repeated layers and similar flavour, although there can be possible modified flavours here and there. Now, we're talking about Onbitjkoek. Does not sound like Indonesian, does it?

Have a look at the Indonesian history, you may find the answer why onbitjkoek? Indonesia has a long history with Dutch colonial. Despite of all of those political issues, there is one wonderful exchange on culinary world. The Dutch brought the knowledge of milk, butter and cheese, while The Indonesians gave the wider availability of access in using various spices on the Dutch's kitchen.

Onbitjkoek has been on the array of Indonesian bakeries, which I believe has been a part of Indonesian traditional cakes. This is my entry for KBB-11, themed Onbitjoek, for this month's task.

Here's the recipe:

ONBITJKOEK
Source: Kue-Kue Indonesia. Yasa Boga-PT Gramedia Jakarta. 2007.


125g palm sugar
5 egg yolks
3 egg whites
Sift well: 125g flour,1 tsp ground cinnamon,½ tsp ground nutmeg, ¼ tsp ground cloves
50g almond, thinly slices (used slivered will do too)

Beat the yolks, whites and sugar until fluffy and thick. Fold in the sifted flour and spices, mix well. Pour into a lined and greased then floured loaf tin. Bake for a good 20 minutes and then take it out of the oven, scatter the sliced almond on top, and return into the oven. Bake until well golden brown and cooked. Served slices to your liking.



Onbitjkoek-3 by ab '09

This cakey loaf happened to be my first experiment on onbitjkoek, as I have to convert all of the measurements to suitable for gluten-free, as its mass is quite different from the mass of ordinary flour. That first time I did manage to add a little gram of flour with the same amount of eggs require on the recipe. I don't think the batter would like that construction, as you can see the middle of it had sunk a bit.

Onbitjkoek by ab '09

The ingredients are so easy to find and readily available in your groceries store. I used brown sugar as I did not keep palm sugar at the moment I baked this. I suppose, muscovado sugar will do just good, as it will give a nice darker colour.

Onbitjkoek process by ab '09

The second and third time I tried, I added more gluten-free flour than it required when using wheat flour. The result as below.


Onbitjkoek-exp2 by ab '09

I also found out that topping the almond slices before it goes into the oven is a better way rather than waiting for 20 minutes in the oven. The first time I followed the recipe, the top of the cake was already dry, and scatter the almond slices did no good as they were not 'glued'.


Onbitjkoek exp2 by ab '09

The Gluten-Free Version

115g palm sugar
5 egg whole eggs
2 Tbs hot water
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Sift well: 150g flour + 60g ground almond,1 tsp ground cinnamon,½ tsp ground nutmeg, ¼ tsp ground cloves
50g almond, thinly slices (used slivered will do too)


Onbitjkoek exp2-2 by ab '09

Beat the yolks, whites and sugar until fluffy and thick. Fold in the sifted flour and spices, mix well. Add in the hot water, mix well. Pour into a lined and greased then floured loaf tin. Scatter the sliced almonds on top and then bake for 20 minutes at 170C, turn the oven to 150C for 10-15 more minutes or until the cake is well golden brown and cooked.

We have this loaf with my homemade plum jam, butter and a pot of tea. Great for morning tea or even breakfast!

15 comments:

Happy cook said...

You must be having a wonderufl time here.
Onbijtkoeken is really famous here, we get tham in every shop and baker, maybe because we are living so close to Holland.
I do love them, my daughter like to eat them just like that and i like to eat them togehter with a slice of bread.

Retno Prihadana said...

dooh..asiknya yg lagi liburan. Have a nice holiday :). Nyomot onbijtkoeknya juga ah.

Dominique said...

Hi Arfi, I hope you had a nice time in Ubud! Ubud miss me, and I hope I'll come again (perhaps next year?). I love balinese cooking!and especially cooking lessons at "bumi Bali" restaurant...http://devousamoi-dominique.blogspot.com/2009/02/pate-de-curry-basa-gede.html

Ivy said...

Hope you are having a lovely holiday. Your cake sounds delicious. I love the flavour of cinnamon and nutmeg.

kumpulanresepkoe said...

Duh..yang lg menikmati liburan, moga cepet kembali dengan selamat...*kangen postingan neh*

Onbijtkoeknya cantik mbak, yg gluten free kayanya enak juga...nanti nyoba ah :)

Cakelaw said...

This looks great Arfi. Full marks to you for perservering to get the recipe right - I am impatient and would have given up.

Arwen said...

I hope you're having a good holiday! Maybe I'll try the gluten free version. I like the way you've added almond meal to it, and the spices sound good too.

Anne said...

Asyiikk lagi di Ubud..belanja lukisan ga? Met leha2 Mba..:-)

Andrie Anne said...

Asyiikk lagi di Ubud..belanja lukisan ga? Met leha2 Mba..:-)

http://annevijaya.com

Angela Mulianie / Lia said...

mbak arfie masih di ubud kah? sampe kapan mbak? pengen ketemu eeuy ^_^

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This is your first experiment with it? It's perfect! I hope you're having a terrific holiday. :)

MiNDY said...

semoga liburannya menyenangkan dan selamat kembali ke NZ.

Jescel said...

it's awesome that you still found time to bake while on vacation. anything with cinnamon is a winner to me. this cake looks yummy! there's a lot of different gluten-free flours found in health stores, including almond flour, hazelnut flour, amaranth, etc. maybe you can try those?

pixen said...

Interesting cake... When I told my Dutch friends about Spekkoek, they went ga-ga :-D They don't know what is it. Not even their parents and grandparents.

I may try this Onbijtkoek and I wonder if my friends know something about it LOL. I tried to look for the book you mentioned Kue-Kue Indonesia. Yasa Boga-PT Gramedia Jakarta. 2007 at my local toko buku... ngak jumpa. Yang ada 'Indonesian Desserts & Snack',William Wongso & Hayatinufus A.L. Tobing, Periplus... :-(

frida said...

Salaam, Mbak Arfi.

Saya follower blog mbak, tapi cuma silent reader.

cuma mau nanya, 'Onbijtkoek' ini gmana pronounciation nya. hehehe