June 20, 2009

Warming Winter Nights with Sup Buntut

Less than a week before we went for a holiday, we had to home-kill Brownie. Since we've been back, we are enjoying the sweetness of home-raised Brownie meat. He did a pretty good job, that's all I can say. We did not give him any chemical growth booster or some sort. He was very happy being on the green paddock and grazed with his mate, Whitey. We did not need to inject him with anything that would make him sick. Organic or natural home-raised perhaps the term is. The reward is that meat which is so tender and the taste which is so pleasant.

We had been warming ourselves up with sup buntut (sup = soup; buntut = tail/oxtail) which is a well-known Batavian or Jakartan traditional soup. I never use ready-made stock and am quite happy to do it from scratch everytime I make soup. I really do care of freshness of the ingredients that bring totally different freshness of the food. I hate seasoning sachets and never have them in my pantry. I'd rather stock, either vegetable, chicken, or beef, and then freeze them within a month use. I can use them in various cookings as well, to give more flavour in gravy, casserole, stew, or savoury sauces.

I like to add vegetables on stock I make. Carrot, leek, potato peels, onion, and garlic are the main ingredients I always throw in the saucepan to make stock. I just need to add chicken or beef shin/oxtail, or different flavour of chicken or beef, and leave them as they are for vegetable stock.

Sup buntut is usually served with warm steamed rice. I served mine with finelly chopped spring onion and celery leaves, and sprinkled with fried shallots. It is easy to make fried shallots. All the pain that you need to go through is to peel the shallot skin. Just sing while you peel, youll get away quickly. Thinly slice the shallots and fry, either shallow or deep. I'd just like to do shallow fry and keep a good watch on them while in the pan. Once they are coloured, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on the paper towel. Spread them, don't pile to avoid any moisture caught on the bottom that make them lousy and wet. By spreading them, they'll be dry quickly and will be crispy in a minute. Store in a tight-lidded container or jar. I make this once a week to sprinkle on top of fried noodles, nasi goreng, soup, chicken/beef satay, peanut sauce, or even to garnish steamed rice.

The vegetables in sup buntut is varied, depending on what you like. I like to add more carrots than potatoes, as we're going to eat it with rice. I also like to add a spoonful of hot chili sauce and a drizzle of kecap manis into my soup. YUM!

HomeMadeS Sup Buntut by arfi binsted copyright 2009

HomeMadeS Sup Buntut
by Arfi Binsted

I use more garlic than you usually do, perhaps. Feel free to use less or more, to your liking. I do believe garlic has such miraculous power to heal sicknesses and boost my immune system to the higher level. We need more garlic, especially to keep us healthy in Winter time.

Stock Making for Sup Buntut by ab '09

1 oxtail (ask your butcher to cut it up)
1 onion, peel and halved
8 cloves garlic, crushed (don't bother to peel the skin)
1 large potato, washed, quartered
3 medium potatoes, washed, peeled (use the peel in the stock and reserve the remain for soup)
1 carrot, washed, cut up (no need to peel, just cut off the stalk)
4 carrots, washed, peeled (use the peel in the stock and reserved the remain for soup)
1 large leek, washed, cut up
3 medium celeries, washed and cut up
a spoonful of whole black peppercorns
enough water to cover all the ingredients

Stock Making by ab '09

Put everything in the saucepan, except potatoes and carrots for soup. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the water comes down half way. Strained and separate the oxtail from the vegetables. Make soup.

Sup Buntut2 by ab '09

cooked oxtail
potatoes, diced
carrots, sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, peeled, finely chopped
a pinch of nutmeg
ground white pepper (I'd like to use whole white peppercorns, if it's available)
beef stock
enough water to thin the beef stock
2 cm ginger root, bruised
1 lemon grass, use white part only, bruised
1 Tbs margarine
raw sugar
finely chopped spring onion and celery leaves, to garnish
fried shallots, to garnish
cooked steamed long-grain rice, to serve

Sup Buntut by ab '09

Heat the pan and add margarine. Add in the chopped onion, cook until soft. Add in the minced garlic, pinch of nutmeg and ground white pepper. Cook until fragrant. Add in the cooked meat. Sautee until well mixed. Pour in the beef stock and water. Bring to boil, then add in the vegetables, ginger and lemon grass. Simmer until everything is cooked. Season with salt and sugar. Serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped spring onion, celery leaves and fried shallots and a bowl of steamed rice. Enjoy. Serves 6.

Learning Pendet Dance

Uhm, this is nothing to do with soup, but just want to let you know that I enjoyed learning Pendet dance, a Balinese welcoming dance, while I was taking the children to learn it too. Here I am. The shot was taken by Ben using my cameraphone. A bit grainy, but that's okay. He's still learning. When you visit Bali, don't forget to learn Pendet dance. A bit of exercise too!

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Peter G said...

Beautiful Arfi! This dish really screams "winter"...very warming. I think you've really captured the essence of winter with your stunning pics. I love the fried shallots too

Happy cook said...

Wow this soup sounds really delicous. I have never made anything with oxtail.
Enjoy the dance learning. I think it is wonderul you take your kids too.

Arwen said...

Arfi that's amazing! I'm very impressed that you have homegrown meat as well as vegetables. You can be really certain that the animal had a good life that way. I'll have to try your stock with the garlic, ginger and lemon grass. It sounds perfect for winter.

Dominique said...

Seems delicious. I've never cooked oxtail! Why not? I'll try your soup (but now it's summer! too hot to enjoy soup...)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Hmmm Arfi.....dancing...nice way of to shed that travel kilos and building up energy....

Tuty said...

Salam kenal, Arfi. The soup looks absolutely delicious. I ought to try your recipe since this soup is our family's favourite.

Sylvia said...

What a wonderful soup, is perfect for winter, very comforting

Cakelaw said...

What a delicious, warming sounding soup. Brownie has not sacrificed in vain.

Coffee and Vanilla said...


A while ago you have been nominated to Inspiring Food Photography poll and I would want also to give you Beautiful Blog
award (replacement for IFP event):
If you agree place link or badge linking to the B B List somewhere on your site or mention it in the post and I will place your link on the list.


JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

It all looks so good! Perfect for warming up on a cold day!