July 13, 2009

Donna's Chocolate and Oat S'Mores

so sweet by ab '09

It is time for sweets, our old friend once said when he and his wife came over to see us one afternoon. While we were chatting and brewing some coffee, he then produced a bag of store-bought chocolate wafers from his jacket pocket. The sweets that he meant, perhaps. Until I went out (without any intention to disregard the chocolate wafers, by all means, and the generosity of our guests) with a tray of brewed coffee and a plate of oozy sweets: Chocolate and Oat S'mores. I said, it is Winter and we all deserved to eat sweets, although I am not a too sweet tooth person, I think I just allowed myself to be just at that time.

I wonder where this supposition is coming from? Frosty weather? Cultural invention? Craving? I don't know. For all I know, it is like an attachment to a wintertime entertainment, don't you think? When there is cold, you deserve to eat sweets. Not that you cannot enjoy it at another time of the year, but when it is cold, sweets seem can beat up the gloom.

oat s'mores by ab '09

This biscuit is quite rich with the addition of marshmallow and dark chocolate, melted and sandwiched. I have to reduce the amount of sugar in the biscuits because of these combinations. I won't get near diabetes, just because I want to indulge myself, and everyone, with home-baked goodies (which are supposed to be healthier). I still consider these biscuits as adults' ones because of the content which I don't think is suitable for my young children.

Well, next time you dream of Oat S'mores, dream no more! Bake these!! You will get s'mores, addiction, in no time, without regrets. I hope.

oat s'mores outdoor by ab '09


Donna's Chocolate and Oat S'Mores
Source: Donna Hay Magazine. Issue 39. 2008.

125g butter, softened
220g brown sugar (mine: 150g only)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
225g plain flour, sifted with 1/2 tsp baking powder
100g dark chocolate chips
100g milk chocolate chips
30g rolled oats
20 dark chocolate squares
20 marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 180C. Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla until creamy, about 8-10 minutes. Add the egg, beat well. Add the sifted flour, beat for a while until just combined (I just mix it with spatula, don't want it becomes rubbery). Then, add in the chocolate chips and rolled oats. Mix well. Roll tablespoons, put them on the trays, flatten a bit and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool on the trays.

oat s'mores white bg by ab '09

To enjoy these biscuits, you need to put the baked biscuits, bottom-side up on the baking tray, put the chocolate square on each biscuit and marshmallow on the other half. Bake for a little while until the marshmallow and chocolate are almost to melt. Sandwiched, enjoy! Makes 20.







Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Peter G said...

You did well with this American invention Arfi! Lovely! And I reckon perfect with a cuppa!

Debbie Pearson said...

These look positively scrumptious and I believe you're right, in the dead of winter when it is cold, there is something delightfully soothing about sweets with a warm drink to sip on.

Y said...

I think we could all do with a sweet treat every now and then, regardless of the season. But Winter does seem particularly appropriate!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Those sound fabulous, Arfi. I could never turn down a Smores.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Arfi, those s'mores look absolutely gorgeous. I think a little bit of sweetness and a hot drink is what is called for in winter :0)

Aparna said...

So this is the chocolate you're enjoying. Looks lovely, thoug we don't eat marshmallow (because of the gelatin). :)
I think our bodies crave sweets mnore in winter because our body need more energy to keep us warm when its cold? Though who needs an excuse to eat chocolate? ;)

Arwen said...

Those look magnificently melty! Cold weather definitely makes me want to eat sweets, and these look like the perfect thing.

linda said...

Delicious, pretty pictures too!

Ria said...

They look so good! yummmm!

Taste Buddies said...

Wow. What a treat Arfi. I think I would've had a sugar overload but it would have been worth it. Gorgeous indeed!

HealthyRainbow.net said...

Hi Arfi,

I just found your blog today and I totally love it :)
Especially all the yummylicious photos......:D

Cheers,
www.HealthyRainbow.net