October 08, 2009

Donna's Vanilla and Rosewater Madeleines

It's been a long time I haven't sent any entries for foodie events. Time just flies and the next thing I know, the day has just finished. I am trying this time to send you these little biscuits for High End Treats, as a theme of Monthly Mingle food event, pioneered by Meeta of What's For Lunch, Honey. This month, my dear friend, Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen is hosting.

I have never baked madeleines and this is my first. I chose Donna's Vanilla and Rosewater Madeleines as they look so simple to make and bake. These madeleines are iced with rosewater icing. I prefer to ice these little biscuits with lemon/lime/orange icing rather than rosewater. However, to taste the combination of vanilla and rosewater, I had to bake as instructed.

 Vanilla and Rosewater Madeleine2 by ab '09

 I like the lightness of these biscuits. The flavour of vanilla is really mild and it is such a pleasant fragrant in a texture of little cakes. However, rosewater is quite overwhelming to combine with vanilla, and if it's used a few more drops, its fragrance will take over. I may be not too familiar with this kind of scent in baking, but it's quite nice to flavour it, for a change.

When I made batch of madelienes the second time, I use vanilla biscuits, flavoured with orange zest and iced with orange icing. Taste much more familiar, really, not too-good-to-be-true-kind-of. They are also really good match with green tea with mint and slices of lime. High end treats, to be true.

Vanilla and Rosewater Madeleine by ab '09

Vanilla and Rosewater Madeleines
Source: Donna Hay Magazine, Spring, Issue 41. Oct/Nov 2008. Page 82.

2 eggs
75g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
75g plain flour (sifted with) 1 tsp baking powder
80g butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease madeleine tin. Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla, whisk to combine. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, mix well. Add the melted butter, mix well. Spoon or pour the batter into a 12-hole madeleine tin. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked. Cool on a wire rack.

Vanilla and Rosewater Madeleine3 by ab '09

Rosewater Icing

320g icing sugar
80ml boiling water
1/2 tsp rosewater

Put all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Spoon the icing over the madeleines. Leave to set.
Makes 12.

Have a great afternoon tea, everyone!

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Aparna said...

I've always wanted to make madeleines but don't have the moulds. Think I'll be getting them by the end of the month though. :)

Yours look beautiful and thanks so much for joining us for High Tea.

Rose extract can be very overpowering (even to someone who is used to it) and a drop or two goes a long way.
Even I'm surprised at the vanilla/ rosewater combination.
Rose extract works well with cardamom or pistachios.

Peter G said...

Yummy Arfi...funnily enough I just made rosewater icing for a batch of potato donuts I made recently...post coming soon! I love these with afternoon tea though!

Happy cook said...

I love madelines too. Love the rosewater icing, this looks beautiful as always.

Anh said...

So delicious. Great to have you back!!!

Arwen said...

I made some cupcakes once with rosewater mascarpone, and you're right that it's easy to use far too much. I like the sound of the orange version, especially with your tea.

VS said...

Hi arfi
How have you been?
Nice entry for the event. They look swesome! As always brillaint pics lady :-)

Cakelaw said...

LOL - two great minds think alike. I've made madeleines fr Monthly Mingle too, but mine are much plainer than these. Love rosewater flavoured icing - it reminds me of musk lifesavers.

Melanie said...

The spiced madelines are so beautiful I could almost taste them.

Claudia said...

Those look so good. I want to try making madeleines if I can just locate the moulds.