December 15, 2009

SHF#60: French Macarons



Baking French Macarons for me is more to satisfy my passion of baking rather than enjoying the sweetness of meringue. I thought I am a sweet tooth, but the taste of macarons makes me shuddered. The highly sweetness of meringues sandwiched with sweeten chocolate or caramel sauce or whatever sweet stuffs they may require is really too sweet for my taste. Perhaps, I am not such a sweet tooth anyway, for I only cannot enjoy it.

Out of curiosity, I first learned baking French macarons just last year (French Macarons and Tag post). The results were oh-so-embarrassing. The meringues were too dry and cracked. Then, I followed Helen of Tartelette's macarons tutorial on Desserts Magazine. It surely worked (Yes, I Did It! post)! Since then, I love baking these little delicate sweets for Christmas gifts to our neighbours, friends and families or on other special occasions. These sweets have never failed to entertain guests. There are also macarons I have made: Fleur de sel Macarons, Green Pandan Macarons, Assorted Macarons on Sarah's Birthday, Sesame Macarons, and Snicker Macarons which I haven't posted yet. I've more photos rather than posts, I suppose :)

snicker macarons







This is my entry for Sugar High Friday (SHF) #60, originated by Jennifer of Domestic Goddess, and this month is hosted by Nic of Cherrapeno.

before and after




The recipe for macaron shells can be searched on Helen's website, and trust me, it always works! Here is her latest invention of macarons: Candy Cane and Eggnog Macarons.

French Macarons by ab'09

On the photo above as you can see, I use milk chocolate flavoured with raspberry essence. I use plum colour powder. I have experienced macarons flattened when I use food colouring paste wither water-based or gel-based. Perhaps, such food colouring contains more liquid that make the batter heavier and wetter. Colour powder is the best to use to colour macarons. You can find colour powder on cake decorating shops or bakers specialty shops.

And, it is a reminder: I am still waiting for your submission for DMBLGIT December 2009. Please, send me your photos not later than 20th December 2009, your time. (I have a day bonus for you, as NZ is the first country to receive the sunlight). So, come on! Don't hesitate to send me your entries. I'll be here waiting.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Peter G said...

I'm glad they work for you Arfi...I've failed 5 times! And I think my oven has a lot to do with it! These look lovely...great flavours!

Happy cook said...

I know what you mean i love making them , but then even a sugar lover like me think they are bit too sweet.
Your just look so so perfect.

Nigel Olsen said...

Hi Arfi! How are you & the little bun in the oven :) I hope you're not working too hard.

♥♥♥Ria♥♥♥ said...

They have come out Perfect!

Arwen said...

They're so pretty Arfi! I love the pink ones with the flowers and berries. They look like food for fairies.

Nicisme said...

Those are breathtaking Arfi, really beautiful!
Thank you so much for your SHF entry.

Nithya said...

They looks absolutely gorgeous.. yummm :)

Yasmeen said...

Just perfect :D

Claudia said...

Yours are beautiful and great photos as always. I'm with you on the sweetness. I made them last year and it was fun, but just too sweet for me.

Will enter DMBLGIT when my photos are better quality. I'm working on it, and also need a better camera.

RV said...

The looks absolutely delicious. Love the pink color

Alessandra said...

They look perfect, and I am sure they taste perfect too! You are very talented Arfi!

Barbara said...

The pink ones are so pretty arfi.

Anita said...

These look gorgeous, I must cook some more macarons....

Xiaolu said...

Your macarons are really gorgeous! I'm so glad you tried again after your first failure. I'm definitely trying Helen's recipe for my first attempt.

CathWren said...

They look amazing! I just purchased I Love Macarons and have had no luck with that recipe, so thank you for the link to Tartlet. I am an illustrator, just finished a new collection of patisserie themed images and wanted so much to celebrate by creating a batch of macarons.

Happy Holidays!

Cynthia said...

Happy Holidays to you and the family!

Deeba PAB said...

Gosh, you've mastered the art of macaronia Arfi. Just beautiful!! I'm still on a rather hit & miss run as far as macs go...but feet bring endless joy!! love the berries and the summer colours you've made. BEE-YOO-TI-FUL!!

imperfectionsofapastryprincess said...

i LOVE macarons! i'm going to oz in 2 weeks and want to go to nz for a few days, too. particularly to do the sky jump and jump off that tower in auckland! is there any god p√Ętisserie you can recommend?