January 12, 2010

NCC Banana Week: Banana Ice Cream


Banana seems to be our year-round popular fruit in the household. My children just nibble them at any time of the day, mostly in between meals. When they are keen, they can whiz bananas with plain Greek yogurt and there they would tuck in their smoothies for the afternoon.

Pity we cannot grow bananas in our South Auckland home garden, otherwise it would nice to harvest our own homegrown bananas, wouldn't it? I bet they'll taste much nicer, especially when they are made into ice cream.

I am not really an ice cream eater. I am allergic to milk products, although I am okay with soft cheeses. I can eat sorbet which mostly is fruit based, for they are not made from milk products. I make ice cream purposely to treat my children and also it is a way for them to learn how to make ice cream from scratch. Therefore, I can control the amount of sugar and the freshness of ingredients possibly used. They also can take benefits from it. I really want them to be independent in the kitchen in the time they are grown up, so they can always carry the positive attitude towards good food throughout their lives. I will be horrified to see them if they would choose to go the a takeaways or drive through outlets to seek food rather than cook it themselves. I do the best I can to introduce and involve them in the kitchen as early as possible. Truly saying is, being in the kitchen is their favourite fun tasks so far in our home-schooling projects.




This is my entry for NCC Banana Week, a one-off event for Natural Cooking Club members. This ice cream is very easy to do with children. I make chocolate chip biscuits and butterscotch sauce as a companion to the ice cream, or to sandwich the ice cream whenever they like. But they stick on ice cream cone, which I cannot make myself. They just eat the biscuits for afternoon tea, and never touch the butterscotch sauce. My beloved husband does!


Banana Ice Cream

Banana Ice Cream
by Arfi Binsted

4 large, very ripe bananas, peeled
150-220g white sugar
juice of one lemon
400ml fresh cream
300ml heavy cream
200ml full-cream milk

Chopped bananas and put them in a blender or food processor with sugar and lemon juice. Whiz until smooth. Pour in the creams and milk. Whiz again until smooth. Pour on to a shallow freezer tin, cover and freeze for an hour, or until the ice has been formed around the edges. Put the mixture into the blender again, and whiz (or simply fork the iced edges to mingle with the softer one in the middle, mix well). Freeze for another hour, and then repeat. Freeze once more, whiz again and this time, pour it into the freezer container. Serving when required.

Biscuits
125g unsalted butter, softened
50g caster sugar
150-200g brown sugar
225g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g dark chocolate chips
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease or line baking sheets. Beat butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract and egg, beat again until well mixed and smooth. Fold in sifted plain flour and baking powder. Mix well. Add in chocolate chips. Roll into marble sized balls, flatten it carefully. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked and golden brown. Makes 18-24.

Butterscotch Sauce
50g unsalted butter
300g brown sugar
125ml fresh cream
a pinch of salt

Put all the ingredients in a heavy pot. Stir until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Let it boil, then simmer until the sauce is thicken.

To assemble:
Prepare one sheet of biscuit, scoop the ice cream on top. Drizzle with butterscotch sauce and sprinkle with chocolate hails, and top with another sheet of biscuit. Just use your imagination, I suppose. Nothing can go wrong, really :) Enjoy!

Have a great day!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

Arwen said...

I love to hear that you don't have to separate eggs to make this icecream. It looks beautiful with the cookies and sauce too.

Penny said...

yum! :)

peasepudding said...

Looks delicious, I have never had banana ice cream but I can imagine it taste divine>

mysite said...

mbak ur ice cream pic looks so beautiful.....
Gimana ya biar hasilnya paling gak kayak punya mbak arfi. Punyaku Canon D450. Share dong...

Happy cook said...

Wish my daughter was like your kids, she is opposite she hates banana she says they are slimy in the mouth. I know weird isn't it and i love banana.

Alessandra said...

Uh, I don't usually like banana ice cream, but this looks really moreish!

6p00d8341bf71853ef said...

'Banana Week' Sounds like a Fun Event except with home site being Indonesian, it is beyond my language skills.

Do you mind if I mention this foodie event and use your recipe and photo as an illustration?

Thanks

Serge
'The French Guy from New Jersey'
Blog:
http://www.sergetheconcierge.com

Aparna said...

I love ice-creams especially those that don't have egg in them. This looks lovely and my daughter would love it, especially with the butterscotch which is her favourite!

simply.food said...

This looks amazing and the picture looks so alive.Glad I stumbled across your blog.

Tuty said...

The ice cream looks so luscious. It makes me want some ice cream in the middle of winter :-)