February 01, 2010

Chiffon Rainbow Cake

I have been mad with chiffon cakes lately. It comes from a passionate baker's curiosity within me, I suppose. It's the desire to challenge my skill to another different level. Nothing more to speak out, to be quite sure.

After a success with previous Chocolate Chiffon Cake, I tried out to make Rainbow Chiffon Cake, written by Fatmah Bahalwan, a famous baker and cook of Natural Cooking Club Indonesia in Jakarta. My first attempt was a disaster. The colours were there, but it did not rise high. I had troubles with pastes required in the recipe. I made a few trials and errors to substitute the use of pastes, but I failed. The cake was suffered from receiving too much liquid, the results from adding too much food colouring and essence.

This is my second attempt. I learned my mistakes and tried my best to avoid using too much liquid. I reduced the use of oil and coconut milk to each 60ml only. This way, when I add essence plus food colouring, the cake will be able to stand extra weight of liquid. The cake is still moist and proudly rising and protruding to the sky.

I am not yet satisfied with this. I am not too happy with the crust left on the tin when I removed the cake from it. There must be a way to make the crust staying and enveloped the moist cake.

Rainbow Chiffon Cake by ab2010

Chiffon Rainbow Cake
by Fatmah Bahalwan, NCC

Egg Mixture
In this mixture, the recipe calls only to pour the egg yolks into a well of dry ingredients. I whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar, firsthand, and then mix it to the dry ingredients, oil and coconut milk.

50g caster sugar
20g milk powder
20g cornflour
140g standard flour
1 tsp baking powder
100ml oil (60ml; rice bran oil--ab)
100ml coconut milk (60ml--ab)
140g egg yolks

Egg Whites Mixture
What I do is to treat this mixture like you are making meringues. Whisk the egg whites and salt until foamy, and then gradually add in the sugar in three batches. Keep whisking until soft peaks.

300ml egg whites
150g caster sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp cream of tartar (optional)

Rainbow Pastes
I only have pandan paste, and I have to substitute the other pastes my own. What I do is to use a drop of rose essence plus a drop of red food colouring to substitute the strawberry paste; and using cocoa powder mixed with hot water for the chocolate paste.

1/2 tsp pandan paste
1/2 tsp strawberry paste
1/2 tsp chocolate paste

Rainbow Chiffon Cake-2 by ab2010

Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a 20cm chiffon cake (less in diameter will be alright, I am told). Do not grease or line the tin.

Combine sugar, milk powder, cornflour, flour, and baking powder (I sifted these ingredients together, 3 times). Make a well in the centre. Pour the egg yolks (mine is already mixed with caster sugar) in the middle, mix well, while adding the oil and coconut milk. Work from the middle to the edge, combine well until you have a smooth egg mixture.

Meanwhile, whisk egg whites, caster sugar, salt and cream of tartar, if using, until soft peak. Mix this mixture into the egg mixture. Work lightly but thoroughly, to avoid any lumps (which will make holes in your cake).

Divide the mixture into 4 portions and put each portion into a bowl (I only use 3 bowls, and leave the plain mixture in the mixer bowl). Work each paste into each bowl, so you will have one bowl of pandan paste mixture, one bowl of strawberry paste mixture, and another bowl of chocolate paste mixture, while the rest of the mixture remains plain (I drop vanilla extract in it).

Pour these mixture into the tin, and bake for 45 minutes, or until it becomes springy to the touch. Remove the cake from the oven and immediately turn the cake (in the tin) upside-down, using the tin's feet (if you have a chiffon cake with feet). Otherwise, use a strong bottle, like your aged Modena vinegar bottle, to hold the cake  by sliding the bottle into the tin hole in the middle. Leave it to cool.

When it is already cool, remove the cake from the tin by using a long thin knife, loosening from the sides and bottom of the tin. Serve as is, sliced.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Monica Adriana said...

waaa! mau mbak! hihihi. dr dl tiap bikin pelangi pasti bantet. santennya yg kentel ya mbak?

Arfi Binsted said...

ga tuh, aku pake coconut milk aja, ga pake coconut cream. kemaren percobaan yg pertama aku pake coconut cream campur sama air, ya itu jadinya basah.

MiNDY said...

belum kesampean nih bikin chiffon cake. kemaren di Jakarta seneng banget sama strawberry chiffon cake-nya Bakerzin dan kepikiran pengen buat. mampir kesini, berasa jadi diingetin u/ nyoba bikin hihi

Arfi Binsted said...

Ayo, Ndoel coba juga hihihi...

Tuty said...


The rainbow colors look fantastic and the texture is lovely. When I am ready to bake this cake, I definitely will pay close attention to your notes since I can't find strawberry paste here either.

Did you whisk the coconut milk from the can before you measured? Please advise.

Thanks for sharing.

Tuty @

Arfi Binsted said...

no, i didn't whisk it. but i did shake the can before i open it.

anisna said...

u r the best....

Retno Prihadana said...

cantiiik, pernah sekali bikin chiffon...tapi mingpes lagi, nggak sebagus yg ini, jadi kabitaaaa.

bunbun said...

mba arfi (namanya sama kek nama abangku :)

salam kenal yah, member ncc juga nih

seneng banget mampir kesini, cantik-cantik semua :) **potonya kereeennn!!!

kapan-kapan nyontek resepnya yah :)

chenmarlin said...

benar kata mba Retno, jadi kabita, warnanya bagus sekali, tapi ngga berani coba, pernah gagal sih, tunggu punya semangat 45 dulu.

Happy Cook said...

Wow love the colours and it looks so so beautiful.

Yasmeen said...

A rainbow of delight! It looks perfect to me :D

simply.food said...

Looks very colourful and amazing.

Claudia said...

That cake looks just fantastic! I admire your persistence in cooking til you get it exactly right.

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

Pretty colours Arfi, and it looks like a beautifully light cake. I wonder why you don't grease or line the tin for this sort of cake.

peasepudding said...

It looks very beautiful and very light and airy. I have never made chiffon cake before but you may have set me a challenge!

Alessandra said...

Lovely! Where did you get the pandan paste?

Arfi Binsted said...

Alessandra: a friend of mine brought me home when she visited me and she said she got it from Tofu Shop in North Cote, North Shore. I usually just use juice from frozen pandan leaves.

PFx said...

mba arfi, NZ nya dimana ya? Great blogs!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Arfi, this cake just makes me smile. It's positively delightful. PS-How are you feeling?

Y said...

What a wonderful cake. It brings back so many memories of my childhood, when chiffon cakes were de rigeur. My mother made so many of them while searching for that elusive "perfect" looking chiffon. My favourite used to be pandan flavoured :)

Barbara said...

Arfi this is so pretty.

Aparna said...

Love the colours in your cake, Arfi.
Think pregnancy is suiting you very well, given all the lovely stuff I'm seeing here.

Von said...

Rainbow Chiffon cake is such a cool idea! Will definitely be making this one day! It's so pretty!