March 31, 2010

A Green Post





When KBB has chosen its 16th task, I was preparing myself and family to go to Indonesia for a holiday. I had to bake early to meet the deadline. And I had baked not only once, but five to 8 times since the recipe was received through email. I have tried chiffons made from plain flour and also gluten-free flour. It was fun in the kitchen, muddle up with recipes. In the end, I just love gluten-free version. It is safer for me.

I looked around for chiffon cake recipes and... voila! hundreds of them, either original or modified. I chose pandan chiffon cake, recipe is found and written by our senior KBB member, Estherlita. I chose this recipe because it's unique as it is not using any oil whatsoever.

Chiffon Pandan Cake
by Mbak Estherlita of d'ez Kitchen 


bahan-bahan untuk pandan chiffon cake by ab2010

Sifted together:  100g plain flour, 115g caster sugar, 3/4 tsp baking powder
Whisk or mix until smooth: 6 egg yolks, 3 Tbs water + a pinch of salt, 1 Tbs pandan paste


kbb#16-made in Indonesia-pandan chiffon cake in the making by ab2010

Whisk together: 6 egg whites, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (I used lemon juice), 56g caster sugar

kbb#16 made in indonesia-pandan chiffon cake by ab2010


Mix together egg yolks mixture with flour mixture, and then fold in egg white mixture (which is already whisked until stiff peak). Pour into a chiffon cake tin without greasing or lining. Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Turn the cake upside-down as soon as it is removed from the oven and let cool that way. When it is cool enough, loosen it up with thin spatula around the edges or it will just come out easily. Decorate or garnish as you wish.

Pandan Chiffon Cake by ab2010

Icing/Frosting:

Mix all the ingredients until smooth and spread on the cake:
50g shortening
50g margarine (I used unsalted butter)
150g icing sugar
3 Tbs sweetened condensed milk
I add 1 tsp vanilla extract and grated Cheddar cheese


Pandan Chiffon Cake-3 by ab2010

Review:

Aku suka sifon pandan ini. Pakai resepnya mbak Litha, ga pake minyak. Resep yang unik, meskipun ga pakai minyak, sponge-nya ga seret. Enak deh buat camilan sore hari. Meksipun aku alergi tepung, nyicip seiris rasanya selangit deh hehehe...

And these are gluten-free chocolate chiffon cake and gluten-free mocha chiffon cake (which I adpat from the gluten-free chocolate chiffon cake), I had made several times during the first and second week of March. They don't last long as surprisingly, my hubby is also liking this kind of cake as well (let alone my children).


gluten-free choc chiffon cake


gluten-free mocha chiffon cake


The original recipe of  this is this gluten-free chocolate chiffon cake. I just tweak a bit to make the mocha chocolate chiffon cake (and I have forgotten what I did!). Anyway, once you've found a good recipe, you can adjust it to your needs and preference, I suppose.

So, enjoy my chiffon cake and will post photos of my trip to Indonesia later (internet connection permitted).


Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Monica Adriana said...

mbak arfi, dah di Indo kan yaa? sampe kapan mbak? hehehe. i miss ur posts nih.. :)

Alessandra said...

Wow! they look great!

jesse said...

Gosh, I lovelovelove your blog!! I'm sooooo glad I found it. The chiffon looks wonderful and I love your writing.

Sherry Andriani said...

liat chiffon mocha coklatnya nafsuin deh....slurppp.....foto2nya juga keren2. someday belajar fotografi yang baik dan bener deh mbak, aku...:D

Widyasc said...

salam kenal ulang ya Mba, aku Widya yg baru ikutan pra tantangan KBB. Ternyata punya bekal pasta pandan dari Indo juga ya Mba. Cantik deh pandan kejunya

Lien said...

What an amazing color, stunning!
I have to buy me a real angelcake pan one day (I don't think they can be bought here in Holland tho).
I'm intriged by the use of grated cheddar on a sweet cake.. or isn't it that sweet?

Wina said...

yum! which recipe is the green cupcake that u have as ur header? wud love to see it : )

WizzyTheStick said...

What a lovely cake. I wonder where I can find pandan paste online to buy