May 16, 2010

Gluten-Free Lemon and Blueberry Muffins



Cooking to Combat Cancer is back to round 4. I found Chris's tweets a few weeks back about the event and I thought I would contribute again. I meant to bake for CCC, as a new post to raise awareness of cancer, as soon as I got her tweets, but I have been losing my mojo of blogging once again. I still love taking photos, but have found writing is the biggest hurdle at the moment. 

With this pregnancy which is now on 32 weeks this week, I am moving forward to a bigger responsibility and casualness of being a mother for our third child, involved myself in preparing baby gears while the previous ones had been given away to an op shop at a church, that now we have to be collecting new ones. Just found it so amusing to see such tiny little gears for tiny little body again in a wardrobe, keep wondering if it's going to be a boy or a girl. So until now, I still play it safe with white and pale blue, or white with pale pink.

I also have managed to make some booties for the coming baby, crocheted. I wonder if I am using the right wool, though. However, I am preparing for the worst (like if it's going to be a dead cold Winter coming in a short time, as the baby's due date will be in the coldest month of the year in New Zealand). I just want to make sure everything is ready when the baby's arrived. Not long now.

Anyway, I managed to bake lemon and blueberry muffins as an entry for Cooking to Combat Cancer IV, mothered and initiated by Chris of MeleCotte. Yes, blueberries are quite costly these days, but they are still available in the farmer's market. God knows, how plentiful the trees must be to feed people in the edge of Autumn here. I love cooking with blueberries, either frozen or fresh. Fresh is the best, but couldn't go wrong with frozen, either. In case of blueberries in muffins, I just like them fresh.

IMG_3197

Gluten-Free Lemon and Blueberry Muffins
by Arfi Binsted

I am using gluten-free flour, as a safe and healthier option for me, but you can use 60-70g self-rising flour and plain/standard flour for the remaining of flour measurement, omitting the baking powder.

blueberry and lemon cupcakes-2 by ab2010


100g unsalted butter, softened
50g sour cream
finely grated lemon rind of 1 lemon
85-125g caster sugar (I like it unsweetened too much, but you can adjust it with your own sweet tooth level)
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
100-125g gluten-free flour
1/4 tsp baking powder, sifted with the flour
1 cup fresh blueberries

blueberry and lemon cupcakes2

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 6-8 hole Texas Muffins with paper cups. Beat butter until pale, beat in sour cream and sugar, and then eggs and lemon rind. The mixture should be smooth. Beat in the flour in a very slow speed, until just well-incorporated. Fold in blueberries gently. Spoon the batter in each paper cups. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until spring back to the touch. Decorate with Cream Chantilly and fresh blueberries with a dredge of icing sugar. Makes 6-8.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Barbara said...

They look yummy arfi. So it's cream on top?

Arfi Binsted said...

Yes, it is Cream Chantilly only, Barb.

elly.s said...

beautiful..must be delicious

Peter G @ Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Another beautiful baking endeavour Arfi! I love blueberry muffins!

Alessandra said...

Lovely muffins Arfi! All the best with your pregnancy, you must be getting big now! Good on you to be making booties :-)

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

The muffins look lovely! Best of luck in the coming weeks, and I'm sure the booties will be useful for winter.

Anh said...

Arfi, all the best for the pregnancy :). I'll "See" you on FB as well.

The cakes are beautiful. Love them.