June 07, 2010

Gluten-Free Pandan Cake


Stumble Upon Toolbar

I like the flavour of pandan on cakes, the fragrance I sometimes miss. Can't really expect bakeries in New Zealand ever sell pandan cakes. Or can you imagine to have pandan scones for afternoon tea, I wonder? It is not impossible, though it probably will be quite a twist for a local palate. Let me say this, I ever ate scones with strawberry butter in one of favourite cafes in Ubud, Bali. I wasn't happy with the texture of the scones as it was so densely not fresh and too sweet for a sconbrot, but the strawberry butter was a real surprise. It was too sweet for a scone and too sweet for a butter. As an Indonesian-born Kiwi, I have never had scones with strawberry butter or other flavoured butter whatsoever at many cafes I have been here. I regard scones as a traditional food and it is kind of weird to have it twisted. It just makes the scones not the scones, if you get what I mean. I'd rather to stick with original flavour of scones, which are buttery rich and airy in texture.

Anyway, I am not making pandan scones, no. I mentioned to one of my baking friends in Indonesia that I'd like to bake something with pandan paste. She sent me a recipe which she had tested her own, and I tweaked it a bit to be a gluten-free version, make it available for me to eat. And here what I come up with.


Gluten-Free Pandan Cake by ab2010


Gluten-Free Pandan Cakes
modified from Bolu Pandan Sico
by Arfi Binsted

8 eggs
180g caster sugar
180g gluten-free flour
20g cornflour
2 Tbs milk powder
2 Tbs almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
200ml coconut cream, cooked until a bit thicken with 1 Tbs pandan paste, cooled

Gluten-Free Pandan Cake-2 by ab2010

Preheat the oven to 175C. Prepared a 24cm round cake tin, greased and lined with baking paper. Sift flour, cornflour, milk, salt, baking powder and almond meal together three times. Set aside. Meanwhile, beat the eggs until fluffy, gradually spoon in sugar a little at a time and keep beating until pale, a ribbon developed. Fold in flour in three batches, alternately with coconut cream and pandan paste mixture. Scrap the bottom of the mixer bowl to ensure the mixture is mixed well. Pour into the baking tin, and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cake is springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and transfer to the wire rack. Remove the cake from the tin to cool down completely before icing.

What I do with the icing is that I use Creme au Beurre. I spread homemade pineapple jam on one side of the split cake and the creme on the other, and then sandwiched. Just a simple decoration, that is. It is just great for morning tea!

And here is the original recipe, in case you'd like to stick with it.

Bolu Pandan Sico
Sent via email by Anggraini Citra Kusuma

8 eggs
225g flour
280g caster sugar
1 glass of thick coconut cream
1 Tbs pandan paste

Beat eggs and sugar until pale, fold in flour. Add in cooked and cooled coconut cream and pandan paste. Pour into the tin. Bake at 175C for 20 minutes.


8 comments:

Chris said...

Never heard of Pandan paste. Interesting! I can always count on you to teach me something. Thanks, Arfi!

This looks beautiful! Almost too good to eat! :) Almost...

jerome said...

That looked awesome! I love the green color of your pandan cake :D

Alessandra said...

Wow! real patisserie stuff!

Happy Cook said...

That is just a beautiful looking cake , i hav eseenpandan aroma in the chinese store here. Does it taste to banana?

Penny said...

Mr6 loves green - I wonder if I can find pandan paste in our Asian grocery shops. :-) I'm not sure I've ever tasted it.

Beautiful cake Arfi - you are so talented.

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

That's a beautiful cake! You're right that pandan scones sound a bit peculiar, but the cake sounds lovely.

Alessandra said...

ps

just linked you on a chain in my last post...

YuliA said...

That has got to be the prettiest bolu pandan I've ever seen! Amazing job!!