December 04, 2010

Keen on Green

I've been wanting matcha green tea for such a long time. When I finally found way to purchase it, I become a crazy green tea drinker. Well, I've been a green tea drinker for years, but they are mostly brewed from bags. Matcha green tea powder comes in sealed packages and in the form of very fine powder which tastes so much fresher. I just love it.

matcha dark choc truffles-rolled in matcha green tea powder

Out of curiosity I am looking around for recipes of chocolate truffles using matcha green tea powder as the flavour, for I currently am craving for chocolate. And I found out that Food Channel has it. Take a look at the recipe here, and the step-by-step here.

matcha green tea choc truffles-2-1

I expected to taste an intense green tea in dark chocolate truffles mixture once I tried out, but I couldn't really find it. The flavour is so delicate to match with the darkness of dark chocolate. But then, the green tea powder coating answers more for what I'm looking for. I think to roll the dark chocolate truffles on to green tea powder is a smart move. Not only it is giving a fancy electric colour of truffles, but also lifts up your sense to another level of satisfaction. And perhaps, it is a healthier choice? Up to you.

matcha green tea choc truffles

Once you bite, your tongue will instantly be introduced by the bitterness of green tea powder, which then be dissolved by the heat of your mouth. As you go on, sinking your teeth deeper, you'll break the dark chocolate coat and meet the softness of green tea-infused dark chocolate ganache inside. Luscious, luxurious, and delicious!


While I am playing with green tea, I want to experience another version of matcha chocolate truffles. And so I whip up green tea white chocolate truffles.


matcha white choc truffles-white choc coats


I am not truly loving white chocolate for it is too sweet for my taste, but when it is mixed with green tea, it suddenly becomes appealing. I quite like it. The green tea flavour in white chocolate shouts more than it is in its dark companion. Here is my recipe:


200g white chocolate, thinly chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp matcha green tea powder
50g grated white chocolate


Heat the cream until hot. Add in matcha green tea powder. Whisk while cooking to mix and dissolve green tea with cream. Removed from the stove top, then add in the chopped white chocolate. Whisking until well blended. Cool in the fridge until firm. Roll into balls and roll them onto a plate of grated white chocolate. Or if you want, you can freeze the balls until firm, and then dip them in melted white chocolate, let cool, and then roll on to the grated white chocolate. They'll be superb this way!


I also quite like to coat these little green chocolate balls with 50% dark chocolate like the photo below. I truly enjoy experiencing matcha green tea with chocolate, and I hope you will do too.


matcha white choc truffles


10 comments:

Bron said...

Lovely Arfi, the green tea almost makes truffles healthy... yes?! ;-)

Arfi Binsted said...

I didn't put sugar in mine, so perhaps it is? :P

Alessandra said...

They are one prettier than the other! Brava!

Dominique said...

I love the flavour of matcha green tea! I use it a lot, in ice cream, in "financiers"... but with chocolate, I'll try! Thank you...

Monica Adriana said...

i am so sure the green tea white chocolate truffles taste extremely delicious. i love them pairing! :)

La Gaia Celiaca said...

gorgeous!
the colours fit in a superb way, and I can only imagine the taste...

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

The contrast between bitter matcha and sweet chocolate sounds like it would taste as good as the colour contrast looks - gorgeous!

Sean Grey Hanson said...

I like the way you coated chocolate truffles with green tea. Just don't know how it tastes like.
Food Channel

Xiaolu said...

I love the vibrant shade of your matcha. Don't know if it's just old but mine's a bit dull. A great twist on the truffle and love your DIY attitude.

Cynthia Sari said...

Valentine is coming, I wonder if this delicious looking truffle will be the perfect gift...
Anyway, I'm going to send it to the other cities, so I wonder if this truffle could reach the destination without getting melt...
How long it could last when it's not in the refrigerator...?
Is it easier to melt than the raw chocolate?
Please reply me at sakura_yuki_kaze@yahoo.com, I'm waiting for your reply, thanks before... :D