May 25, 2011

Gluten-Free Coconut Coffee Biscuits

Stumble Upon Toolbar

I thought, well, if I cannot drink coffee, perhaps I can at least taste it in something. I was thinking about coffee walnut cake, but I thought it would be too fatty for me since it's just nice when sandwiched with coffee buttercream. Other else, I am not too fancy. 

The second option is biscuits.

Gluten-Free Coconut Coffee Biscuits with Nutella Filling-01

The biscuits which are not too sweet, not too ordinary. For me, at least. So, yeah. This is it. Coconut Coffee Biscuits. Sandwiched with the goodness of Nutella, to give me a gentle boost to lift up my mood in a gray Winter day. It is gluten-free, too (I assume, Nutella is gluten-free?).

Gluten-Free Coconut Coffee Biscuits with Nutella Filling-02

Gluten-Free Coconut Coffee Biscuits 
with Nutella Filling
by Arfi Binsted

I don't fancy making biscuits which have to be kept in the fridge for quite some time, just to achieve some crispiness or goodness. I think biscuits are just as good to be made in a dash, as long as I have freshest ingredients and a tender love to whip up a good result. I tend not to have sweet biscuits, to avoid me being hyped too quickly, after all, these biscuits are going to be glued with Nutella anyway. 

For gluten-free baking, I always use Healtheries Simple Wheat and Gluten-Free Baking Mix, because the mix gives melt-in-the-mouth results for biscuits and lovely texture in cakes, although, of course you cannot compare it to gluten/wheaten ones in sponginess. In this recipe, I use Italian fine coffee granules, and Coconut Cream Powder from 'N Tolerance, the shop I frequently go for gluten-free ingredients.

185g dairy-free margarine
2 Tbs icing sugar (add more if you want sweeter)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup coconut cream powder
1 Tbs Italian fine coffee granules
1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbs gluten-free flour
Nutella to sandwich

Gluten-Free Coconut Coffee Biscuits with Nutella Filling-03

Preheat the oven to 170C. Line baking trays with baking paper.
Put in the bowl together margarine, sugar, essence, coconut cream powder, and coffee granules, beat until smooth. Fold in gluten-free flour, mix well. The batter should be soft but when you roll the balls with your hands, they won't be sticky. If you feel it's still sticky, add another tablespoon of flour. Roll into balls, the size of walnut approximately. Flatten with the back of a floured fork. Baked until firm. Careful not to burn the bottom of the biscuits. Transfer to the wire rack to cool. Sandwich with Nutella, the thickness of your preference. Enjoy! Makes 24 sandwiched biscuits.


Shirleen said...

You always make such yummy looking and sounding cookies! Question - I'm not gluten intolerant, so can I substitute the gluten-free flour for the same amount of self-raising flour?

Alessandra said...

Lovely! And with nutella filling... yum!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Yum, Arfi, these biscuits look heavenly - love the idea of coffee & coconut together, and with the Nutella filling - divine! Beautiful photos.
Sue :-)

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

They look lovely - it's cute to see the specks of coffee. The combination of coffee and chocolate is perfect in this cold weather.

Gilli Wrightson said...

Have passed this on to My friend with a Coeliac husband she is always trying to make tasty delights for him

These look superb