January 30, 2013

Rolls Nice: Japanese Roll Cake

Follow Me on Pinterest
Japanese Roll Cake Party
I was wondering if cake decorating term is only applied to cookies and layered cakes. When I saw a Greentea Japanese Roll Cake from Rachmah's blog post, I have a thought the term could be enlarged with decorating roll cakes somewhere under that particular category.

I mean, what's the difference? Although decorating roll cakes doesn't need sugarpaste, royal icing or buttercream, it surely needs imagination like a 'normal' cake decorating needs.

JRC-100sand1000s cream nutella filling

It involves drawing and painting with batter. It involves colours and techniques. 

And there is skills. 

JRC-cream and raspberry white chocolate filling

Honestly, I have never met a challenge like it before and it took me by surprise that it is not as easy as it looks. I failed one of my roll cake, cracked and split when I was trying to roll it. I suspect, I was too adamant to put fresh strawberries in the centre and perhaps way too heavy for the sponge to take them all. I learned my lesson.

Frustasi! Setiap abis diberi motif dan masuk freezer, pasti baking papernya kusut! *jambak rambut. Tuh kan kusut. Tapi yg ini gampang ngelupasinnya.

Another tricky thing is to use the right baking paper. Everytime I put coloured batter on to make decorations, the moment it came out of the freezer, the baking paper will be wrinkled. And that means, the final product will not be as smooth as I want it.

Some girls in the group said to use silpat, but my my silpat is way too big for the measurement required on the recipe. I don't know how they did it, but one time around, I decided not to grease the roll tin. The result was just the same, if not only to satisfy my observation on what to overcome with those two techniques. Nah, I'm still not able to make my roll cakes looking perfectly as smooth as I want to. 

There is one thing I have forgotten, a result of not reading the recipe properly. It's that I have to put a pattern paper under the baking paper, so that the baking paper is not on contact with the bottom of the tin. I must try that again one day.

Well, are you feeling challenged now? Here is the recipe.

JRC-Cream and Nutella filling

Japanese Roll Cake (JRC)
Source: Junko Book (Hop on this website to see what the book look like. It includes step-by-step too. I wonder where to get it in New Zealand)
Modified by Rachmah Setyawati
---------------------------------------------

Ingredients
Batter I
4 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
40cc vegetable oil
60cc water
80g plain flour

Batter for Decorations
60g egg whites
15g caster sugar
10g cornflour
Batter II
160-175g egg whites
0,5g salt
50g caster sugar
1tsp lime juice
15g cornflour
 

1 Tbs Blueberry Paste or dark purple food coloring (I omit this somehow, using different ideas of decorations and colours)


Filling :
Fresh cream, whipped


Methods:


Batter I: Beat egg yolks and sugar until fluffy, drizzle in oil a little at a time while mixing well and then continued with water until all combined. Fold in flour and mix well. Set aside.

Batter for Decorations: Beat egg whites with half of the sugar until foamy, add in sugar a little at a time while still whisking, until all the sugar is used and it forms soft peak. Fold in cornflour, mix well until the batter appears thicken but not hard peak. Set aside.


Get 5-6 tablespoons of Batter I and spoon into the Batter for Decorations, mix well. Divide into two portions. For the first portion of batter, divide into three colours: light pink, dark pink, and light yellow, following the drawing below, provided by Rachmah Setyawati.
Decorations drawing by Rachmah Setyawati

Prepare 2 roll tins measured 20X20X5cm. Prepare your paper which is already sketched with your desired patterns and place it on the bottom of the tin. Grease this paper with a little butter and put the baking paper over. So the paper with patterns is covered by baking paper. Do not grease your baking paper.

Take a little light pink colour, spoon it on to the love pattern. Then get the dark pink one, spoon onto the rest of the love pattern which is not decorated yet. Repeat the process for the dot patterns.

After all patterns are filled and done, put the tin into the freezer until the batter is frozen and dry. Then pour in the Batter I.


You can create another pattern as much as you want. So with this recipe, it will yield two sponge roll cakes.

Preheat the oven to 165C-175C.

Batter IIMake this while freezing the patterns. Beat the egg whites with half of the sugar until foamy, add in the rest of the sugar a little at a time while whisking. Add in lime juice, keep whisking until soft peak. Fold in cornflour, whisk well until thicken. 
Filling: cream chantilly, white raspberry chocolate, and raspberry powder. Cream and Nutella filling.

Combine Batter I and Batter II until incorporated well enough, no egg whites streaks, that is. Divide into two portions. Drop blueberry paste or food colouring as to your liking into one of the portions, mix well. 

Remove the tin out of the freezer, then pour in the blueberry coloured batter onto the love-patterned tin, and the the other portion into the second tin.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until well cooked. Peel off the paper and let it cool.

Assemble
When the cake is cooled, spread the filling over the non-patterned side, roll well and wrap with baking paper. Let it be hardened in the freezer for a little while and serve.

JRC-Strawberry filling

My Review:
Although I still bump into difficulties of making it right, I definitely will try again and let my children design the patterns.

So yeah. We had had a good time with Japanese Roll Cake. Afternoon tea feels so cute with these little rolls. Do ahead with yours, and let me know what you come up with!

7 comments:

Dewi Martha Indria said...

Aku juga gak naruh paper motif di bawah baking papernya kok mbak :D Alhamdulillah gak wrinkle, cuma ya tricky pas masang baking papernya...

Janine said...

wow looks like you had many beautiful tries with this recipe!

arundati said...

my gosh! am amazed at the delicate patterns that you created....simple too beautiful to eat!

Peasepudding.wordpress.com said...

amazing Arfi, you have so much patience!

Bronwyn said...

You don't say anything about rolling it up when it is still hot. The traditional New Zealand sponge roll is turned out onto a tea towel, then rolled up while still warm and flexible. You leave it to cool while rolled up, then unroll it to fill it. Stops it cracking.

Mary said...

Arfi, these are so whimsical and fun! I might have to ladybug my next sponge roll!
Thank you for sharing,

Couisine Marocaine said...

Bonjour,je viens de parcourir votre blog,j'ai beaucoup aimé....Je suis tombée sur votre blog il y a quelques mois (en cherchant, justement, la "vraie" recette Et tous ces plats ,vous en avez des recettes !!!!!!! bonne journée la recette que j'ai ne me satisfait pas ,je suis très preneuse !! merci par avance
j'ais déjà traité un site comme ca
recette creme anglaise
recette patisserie
recette quiche lorraine
recette couscous
Couscous recipe
Recette Thermomix
Recette cookies
Recette crepe
gateau au yaourt

Recette moelleux au chocolat

Dessert rapide

Recette tiramisu
Recette paella
Recette punch
Recette pancakes

healthy dessert

Recette crumble
Je viens de tester ta recette, elle est parfaite. Je vais bientôt la publier sur mon blog !! :) Merci pour cette super recette.