January 03, 2013

Sweet NZ: An Opening Year of Sweets






Follow Me on Pinterest



January 2013. Happy New Year! This is my first post of the year, dedicated for Sweet New Zealand and for those who read my posts from year to year and for those who have just discovered me. I am so grateful to have you all who have followed me throughout the years, even I haven't really written much.

My first attempt of baking this year of 2013 is gluten-free Strawberry Mini Loaves. Since we pick strawberries a small bucket every three days from our garden, I am using fresh strawberries.  I especially made it on an effort to explore my SLR camera again after more than half years depending on my iPad camera. Long story short.

Yea, I'm a happy person. *pulling my lips from ear to ear.

Now, the result of being a happy citizen of the world, here comes Strawberry Mini Loaves from the happy oven. As a happy host for January Sweet NZ, originated by our happy and lovely New Zealand very own food writer, Alessandra Zecchini. Looking at the links, it seems I am the regular host for January when many of NZ food bloggers are away for vacations. But I'm not to lose hope that many yummy sweet entries will be sent my way.

There are simple rules to join in. I just write it shorter:

  1. You are a Kiwi blogger, living here in NZ or overseas.
  2. You are a sweet tooth and love sweets...kidding. You can send me your recipes of desserts/cakes/biscuits/anything sweet that you produce from your own kitchen.
  3. Send me your sweets to arfi.binstedATgmailDOTcom no later than 28 January 2013 with details of your name, blog name and link plus post link. A photo is also a mandatory, not exceeded than 500kb please.
In the meantime, here's my entry.

Strawberry Mini Loaves

Strawberry Mini Loaves2

Not difficult to make these. They're in fact are muffins baked in mini loaves. Nah, I don't trick you. Just want to make it different for a change, because I'm submitting it on my next photography article, written with Tika for Rasa Indonesia online magazine. It is published in Bahasa Indonesia.

21/2 cups gluten-free flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
a handful strawberries, hulled and diced if they are large; keep them as is if they are thumbprint size
1/2 cup caster sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
1 vanilla bean, halved and scrapped out the seeds
1 lemon, grated
2 eggs, loosely whisked
1/2 cup rice bran oil
1 cup soy milk/rice milk/almond milk
extra strawberries, sliced for topping and mixed with a little raw sugar or demerara sugar

Preheat the oven to 190C. Prepare your 8 muffin tins or 8 small loaf tins by greasing or lining them with paper cup. I just grease and flour the loaves.

Combine flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well. Add in diced strawberries, stir well. Set aside. In another bowl, prepare the wet ingredients. Mix vanilla seeds, eggs, grated lemon, oil and milk together until well blended. Pour into the dry ingredients while mixing with wide metal spoon until just incorporated. 

Strawberry Mini Loaves


Spoon into each muffin/mini loaf tin. Top with sliced sugared strawberries. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before take them out of the tin and put them on the wire rack to cool completely. Serve dusted with icing sugar. Makes 8.

7 comments:

Alessandra said...

Happy New Year Arfi, and what a great way to start a sweet new year with your entry, and you hosting!

Ciao
Alessandra

Shirleen @ Sugar and Spice said...

So pleased you began 2013 with these strawberry loafs. They look so good that I'm inspired to give them a go myself...except with regular flour, since I'm not gluten intolerant. Hope 2013 is the sweetest year yet for you and your family! :-)

Lubna Karim said...

So yum looking loafs....the pics are awesome...Happy New Year to you Arfi...

arfi binsted said...

Happy New Year, Alessandra, Shirleen and Lubna. Thank you for dropping by. It's surely going to be a sweet year all round :)

X
AB

Mairi said...

Happy New Year Arfi...entry on its way!
x

Nicola Galloway said...

Happy New Year Arfi :) Nice to meet you and find a new site with yummy gluten-free recipes. A recipe for SweetNZ on it's way.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Happy New Year Arfi. Your little strawberry loaves look gorgeous. I'm emailing you through my entry for Sweet New Zealand xo