March 23, 2013

BBD-57: Savoury Bread

Follow Me on Pinterest
Bread Baking Day #57 - Blogwarming Party - please bring Bread! (Last day of submission April 1st, 2013)

I have been missing out so many blogging world's online event for years, blaming my own mood if not this business of raising two homeschoolers and a toddler. The time to write is so limited and always be interrupted with the kids' and (sometimes) the father's needs. I guess it's just one risk of being a multitasking person, I believe.

Assorted Bread

Today, I ask them to let me have an hour free to prepare this blog post and here I am. Zorra, I keep my promise. Here is my entry for your BBD#57: Blogwarming Party.

Savoury Bread 
with Beef Mince and Mushroom Filling

Actually, I made assorted bread from one dough recipe. I am that kind of person, who'd like to grab any opportunity to taste different things at one time. I think I am eligible for a wine tasting. *kidding

From this rich bread dough recipe, I made three kinds of bread: Mexican Coffee Buns, Savoury Bread with beef mince and mushroom filling, and Mexican Coffee Buns with Nutella filling. They all turned out really good and delicious. That's what my family said.

I followed the recipe for the bread dough here. It turned out really good, kind of spongy for a homemade bread. 

Savoury Bread

And this is my recipe for the Beef Mince and Mushroom filling.

300g beef mince
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 cup shiitake mushroom, soaked in warm water, chopped, reserve the soaking water
2 medium tomatoes, blanched and diced
2 Tbs tomato paste
3 Tbs smokey BBQ sauce
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp chopped thyme
2 cups fresh homemade beef stock
salt and pepper to taste
oil to cook

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Cook chopped onion until translucent. Add in beef and brown. Throw in chopped garlic while beef is cooking. Throw in chopped mushrooms and its soaking water. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste and BBQ sauce, stir well. Pour in beef stock, cook until bubbly and the beef mince is tender. Throw in chopped herbs and season to taste. When the sauce is thickened, remove the filling from the stove to cool and ready to be used for bread filling. 

Have a great party, everyone!


Gilli Wrightson said...

That looks great Arfi. The bread is quite a lot of work with the 3 stages of dough. Can you make it the night before and put it in the fridge for a slow rise?

joumana Accad said...

I love that brioche with the meat filling! could eat the entire loaf!
btw, I want to caution you about the Abbas cookies, I transcribed the recipe but it is the only one in the blog (of 900+ recipes) I did not have time to test. The Chef that I got it from is notoriously imprecise, so I am wishing you luck if you do make them. I am hoping to try them soon myself.

Suresh Urs said...

Nice idea the photographs and the recipe is awesome one great post. Here i came across one site. Clickfood

zorra said...

Thank you Arfi for finding the time to bake such a lovely loaf for my party. I should I thank your kids and husband to leaving you alone for an hour? ;-)

Andrew said...

absolutely nothing beats the smell of baking bread - getting hungry just looking at those tempting photos!

Kyra M. said...

I'd like to invite you again to the CookEatShare Author Network. I don’t want the over 1 million unique monthly visitors to to miss out on your wonderful food.

By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit or contact me at You'll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network! said...


First off, great site! By way of introduction, I work for Boom Video, a social video ad platform and Australasia's first official YouTube network. We distribute video content for a wide range of brands and exclusively represent hundreds of Australian & Kiwi content creators. It would be great to have a chat with you about our new native video player product that we are offering to great Australasia-based bloggers and site owners. The simplest way of describing the unit is that it's a video & text player that's populated with relevant content and built specifically to fit in with the look & feel of your site. (You can check out an example at If this interests you please email me. Thanks!