June 03, 2013

Gluten-Free Raspberry and White Chocolate Friands

Follow Me on Pinterest

Untitled

I know I have told Andrew personally in our friendly emails-exchanged that I have given up blogging. I also had made my husband raised his eyebrows when I answered his curiosity why I haven't been blogging anymore the same thing I told Andrew. "Why would you stop blogging since it gives you pleasures?", he reasoned. I just shrugged. I had made some fellow Kiwi and Australian bloggers sympathized with my decision, but one American fellow blogger thought I would come back.

And she was right.

Well, I might still write if I am given some time to sit and write, as it is difficult to do it these days. Mind you, I am still homeschooling my two children (age 8 and 10 now) and babysit my two year old who is as busy as a bee. Time is not entirely mine, but I thought I will be able to squeeze 30 minutes at a time in between schooling, house chores, the fun in the kitchen, and gardening. It depends on my strong will now. I will keep it up for my faithful readers, thank you for being so patience with me. If this is a promise, then I will keep it bravely.

The iPad is rather helpful as to let me keep writing in my spare time, just to jot down a thought or two. I still photograph my kitchen produce with it, an easy approach I would say. I can't be bothered to mount different lenses on my SLR camera, though. At this moment, photographing from my iPad is just enough. Time is tight.

So, here is what I baked last time: Gluten-Free Raspberry and White Chocolate Friand with the rest of egg whites I used for Bika Ambon, KBB's latest challenge.

Untitled

Gluten-Free Raspberry and White Chocolate Friand

I adapted the recipe from Taste Mag here, but have to substitute the plain flour with gluten-free flour, and made a change for some measurements and method. Here is what I do.

8 egg whites, whisked loosely
125 gram frozen raspberries
195 gram margarine, melted
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoon gluten-free flour, sifted
1 cup icing sugar + 2 teaspoon cornflour, sifted
115 gram almond meal
125 gram Whittaker's raspberry white chocolate, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease friand tins with margarine. Now, with this tin, I bought it online from Milly's Kitchen, here. It is much cheaper from other cookware shops I have been in in Auckland (that I know of). The tin itself is perfectly non-stick. So, grab one. It is one of bakewares your kitchen must have.

Divide raspberries into two equal portion. Crush coarsely.

Untitled

What I do I just throw the wet ingredients in a rather medium bowl and sifted the dry ingredients, except almond meal and chocolate. Then, add in almond meal and white chocolate. Mix well. Add in crushed raspberries. Mix well.

The batter should be able to be spooned into the tin and rather thick but not firm, smooth and smell wonderfully raspberry! Spoon the batter into each friand tin. Top with the rest of raspberries (I crushed these raspberries too and add another quarter cup to top the batter).

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until spring back when touched. The friand will have that lovely golden colour smeared with ruby red raspberries. Oh, so heavenly. My kitchen smells awesome!

Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before transfer them on the cooling rack to cool completely.

We enjoy our little French tea cakes with raspberry sauce, using the rest of frozen raspberries we have. Just add a little honey and vanilla paste, let it boil and simmer to your liking consistency. We just like them a bit runnier so the juice will be soaked up nicely by the cakes.

Untitled

Let me tell you, it's delicious, moist, and oh so lovely, you cannot resist to have another one!



I'm sending these little tea cakes to Sweet New Zealand event, hosted this month by Sue of Couscous and Consciousness. This event was originated by our one and only food writer Alessandra Zecchini.

8 comments:

Y said...

Ahh.. the comment box! For some reason, it disappeared in most of the browsers I use..? Anyway, managed to find a browser that it works in. Love the friands. I find I don't post as often as I used to as well. Life gets in the way, etc. But it's nice that you still try to, every now and then. I always enjoy reading your posts :)

arfi binsted said...

Thanks, Y. This blogging business is rather tough when there is another part of life needs more attention. It needs great efforts for me to do all this again, but yeah, at least I try.

Alessandra said...

Well, I am happy if you don't stop blogging, but sometimes is hard, I find it harder and harder to find time these days to post myself, let alone visiting other bloggers! But for desserts like this is worth it! BTW, Sue is hosting Sweet NZ this month, you should enter your recipes, info here http://couscous-consciousness.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/sweet-new-zealand-23.html

Ciao
Alessandra

PS
the new look looks classy!

arfi binsted said...

I will send this to Sue as soon as I figure out how to use that linky tool. I tried it before but it did not work, so I thought I might just drop her an email. Thanks for the support, Alessandra :)

X

Laila said...

Your friands look lovely! I will add white chocolate to my ones too next time I think. Love the look of your blog. L :)

Carole said...

Very nice to find another Kiwi Blogger Cheers

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Arfi, these friands look heavenly - raspberry and white chocolate is always such a winning combo, and thanks for reminding me that I still have a friand tin sitting in my cupboard that has never been used!! Time to rectify that I think.

So pleased that you are keeping your blog going, Arfi, though I know how challenging it can be to find the time, and thank you for sharing this with Sweet New Zealand this month. Sorry you had a bit of trouble with the linky tool, but we got there in the end.

xo

youssef kabbaj said...

It gave me great quinces, and the recipe that I am not happy, I am very grabs! thank you in advance
I board a good recipe already dealt a site like this
recette couscous
Couscous recipe
Recette Couscous
Recette cookies
Recette crepe
gateau au yaourt
Recette moelleux au chocolat
Dessert rapide
Recette tiramisu
Recette couscous