September 30, 2013

White Wedding Cake for 6 Years of Having Fun

Follow Me on Pinterest

White Wedding Cake-1
Klub Berani Baking (KBB) is now 6 years old. We are celebrating it with mini wedding cake using a homemade fondant.

To tell the truth, many of us bakers don't often make our own fondant. We think it's time-consuming and we'd rather pick a ready-made one up on the baking isle or purchase it online from a cake decorating shop. But, truly speaking, it's not that difficult making your own fondant. I found out that I need to work fast and use it as soon as it's made, otherwise, it will go rather hard to knead. Not sure if the measurement I made was correct or it's something else. However, it's done and I'm pretty happy with it.

White Wedding Cake-2

This is my entry for KBB's 36th challenge, this month hosted by Moniza and Emma Isti













Modelling Fondant


It is my first attempt to make modelling fondant from this cook book. I usually make my own marshmallow fondant and chocolate modelling fondant which I use on this barbie cake. This fondant is totally new to me. However, I've taken the challenge, so I must go on.

It's quite simple to make fondant. It's just the matter of dissolving gelatin and glucose warm syrup mixture into pure icing sugar, knead well, and voila! Your fondant is ready.

The tricky thing is that fondant will be hard in just a matter of an hour. You must remember how this fondant is wrapped when you pick it up from a supermarket baking isle, so that is what I need to do. Wrap it in thick plastic food wrap and cover it with aluminium foil, store it in the cool spot of my pantry until ready use. I have found my fondant keep well and smooth when I then used it.

Cupcakes

Gathering the ingredients for cupcakes is not a problem, since they are all in my pantry. I use Whittaker's White Raspberry chocolate block because I love the raspberry flakes in it and it is to add more flavour in the cupcakes.

The proses is rather simple and is familiar to me as to be added on my weekly home baking venue. 

The cupcakes are quite delicate to my liking. Perhaps because I substitute the flours to gluten-free ones. But I'm not alone here, as I heard other girls in the club getting the same result.

I always adapt the amount of sugar in many recipes, as I'm finding they are too sugary for me. With 75g WHITE chocolate, 75g dried apricots, and 220g of sugar, plus the cupcakes will be covered in fondant, it is way too much for me. I thought I'm a sweet tooth, but compared to many other people, I am not quite there yet. I don't think I will.


Substitution and modifying recipes to your own needs is allowed in the club, so I reduce the sugar by 50% while keep the amount of white chocolate and dried apricots the same. I also use gluten-free flour and almond meal to replace the self-rising flour and plain flour in the recipe.

Baking time was no hassle. In fact, this is the easiest cake I've ever made in the KBB's challenges history. 

OK. Cupcakes done. And here I am, trying to make a cylinder from two sandwiched cupcakes. The cupcakes were rather crumbly, so when they are completely cooled down, I try to trim the edges with my small Japanese serrated knife, which does the job really well. I was attempted to use bread knife, but the eyes are way too big for the job. 


Now, the fun has begun. With the amount of fondant I have, I need to divide it into four parts: three of them are going to be used for covering the cakes, while the rest of them will be used for making flowers.

Daisies are just simple form of flowers. Even if you are a beginner to cake decorating, you will be able to do it, easily. I still keep my cake decorating tools that I used to use when attending a cake decorator gathering somewhere. Now, I'm considered retired (nah, not really).

This homemade fondant, as I said, will turn quite hard when it is exposed in open air, which is excellent for making flowers for decorations, but it's not so good when you try to cover your cakes. I had to knead and re-knead my fondant to keep it smooth after unwrapping it. The trouble is that when it is sticky with apricot jam, then you won't be able to use it anymore, since the fondant will look dirty.



When covering the fondant over the sandwiched little cakes, I notice that it needs a  bit of a technique to actually include the whole cylinders.

First, I discover that the fondant is too stiff to use it to covering the cakes from the top. When I try to smooth the sides of the cakes, the fondant cracked and hardened. It also makes thick frills on the bottom of the cake as I try to gather it to enclose the whole cake. I was not happy.

Second, I roll out the fondant as thinly as possible to form a rough rectangle. I cover the sides of the cake cylinder first, and then cut a circle to match the size of the cake top. It worked, but I wasn't happy with the visible border it creates between the sides cover and the top one. But it would be able to be disguised with decorations.

Third, I cut a circle to match the top of the cake and then run a rectangle-rolled-out fondant to cover the sides of the cake, smoothing the top while joining it. It was not easy but I thought I prefer this technique.

White Wedding Cake-4

With a little imagination to fill it out even more, I thought I have done a good job. Now, it is time to do the taste test. We are all having a slice each, but none of us eating the fondant. The cake is nice, perfect for our gluten-free treat. The white chocolate raspberry is giving more flavour in it, which is rather like a bonus.

White Wedding Cake-5

Well, we were enjoying our little cakes. Happy Birthday KBB!


Review:
Proses pembuatan cupcake tidak ada kendala, begitu pula dengan pembuatan fondant dan royal icing. Sepertinya membuat fondant sendiri dan langsung dipakai itu bikin kecil kemungkinan fondant akan langsung keras ya. 

No comments: