November 02, 2013

Double Ginger Cake

I'm fond of Nigel Slater. The Kitchen Diaries book that I bought myself for Christmas back in 2008 is the cookbook that I often browse through and the recipes I often use in my own kitchen. It is my favourite cookbook.

I particularly love the content of the book and the-matter-of-fact photographs which represent the honest cooking he produces from his kitchen. I love his generosity in using herbs, spices or other ingredients that truly is reflecting a humble soul of a cook who loves to eat and who cares so much about the flavour the particular food has to offer.

In Summer, when my zucchini plants are producing, I always make Nigel's zucchini cakes with dill and feta. I love the creaminess of melted zucchini mingled with the saltiness and distant pungent of feta cheese. I love the presence of dill that intensifies the flavour even more. I also have tried Nigel's Peach and Blueberry Soured Cream Cobbler when there are crops of peach, peachcott or peacherine in our orchard ready to be used in a hot Summer day. We often have it with ice cream or just with whipped cream, sometimes with mascarpone if I have it in the fridge.

Whenever craving for chocolate, I often make Nigel's Chocolate Almond Cake or his 24-carat Chocolate Brownies which are always a hit in the family. Nigel's Coffee and Walnut Cake is my second-favourite to his Double Ginger Cake that I always come back to, every now and then. 

Nigel's Double Ginger Cake is a must-bake cake if you should love ginger. I made my own ginger in syrup two days before I bake the cake. I use young ginger roots I bought from an Asian groceries, peeled and cooked them in white sugar and water. I reserve the syrup in separate drinking bottles for making ginger ale later on (just ginger syrup and soda water to quench our thirst after gardening under the sun on the weekends), and roll the cooked and sliced ginger roots in white sugar, transferred them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, left them dry overnight. The white sugar coated ginger will be crystallized. I chopped these and use them for Nigel's double ginger cake.

I baked the cake a day before we enjoyed slices of it. I've found out later on that a two-days old cake perfects the flavour even more deeper. It's delicious! So delicious I tweeted about it and Nigel himself tweeted back, to my surprise! 

So here's the recipe: if you haven't yet got his book.


Alessandra said...

I like ginger cake but I never made it, I must try sometimes :-). You should enter this in Sweet New Zealand, Mairi is the host this month, info here


Katie Zeller said...

I love ginger cake - this sounds like a tiny bit of work, but well worth it!