November 27, 2013

KBB: Gingerbread House



It's the third time I make gingerbread house. First time it was back in 2007 when my good friend's daughters came to visit and had fun decorating the houses with my children (http://www.homemadesbyarfi.com/2007/12/weekend-kitchen-project-gingerbread.html). Second one was for my son's birthday, back in 2008 (http://www.homemadesbyarfi.com/2008/12/sticky-birthday-gingerbread-houses-and.html). This time, I made it as an entry for KBB's latest challenge.



The design is a bit tricky and unbalanced to my opinion. Or maybe it was me who misunderstood the building instruction and miscalculated the outcome (which it was my mistake!). But I thought I was precise. However, it's done.

Making the dough is not a hassle. It's easy and quick. When the dough was chilling in the fridge, I made the measurement and the house templates. We still have some dough left for extra gingerbread men and animals. Baking and cooling the biscuits while I was washing the dishes.


Then, the fun began. I noticed that the walls on the left and right were shorter than they should be. This is the thing that I thought I didn't measure it correctly. I reread the instruction again, and there the mistake I made. The front and back measurement was supposed to be 51/2 inches wide and 3 inches tall. There's the answer why the roofs can't be fitted well at the joints.



I had a difficulty to keep one of the roofs staying where it should be. I used a support to keep it in place, but it kept sliding down. I was so frustrated that I applied more royal icing to join both roofs, which it was a disaster! 



So yeah. My gingerbread house which is laden with sugary treats has a crack in between the roofs. It stayed strong when the royal icing was set, so it was a relief.

1 comment:

dentistvschef said...

Keren mbak, ntar klo natalan mo bikin sama keponakan2 ah.......