May 13, 2014

Mother's Day: Vegan and Gluten-Free Almond Funfetti Cake

Follow Me on Pinterest

I made this lovely Funfetti cake which happens to be vegan and gluten-free for my Mother's Day day. But then my children decided to present me some gifts they bought with their own money (they sell chickens, pullets, chicks and eggs from our farm) a day earlier, so we all enjoy this cake that very day. They are precious little darlings to me.

I am rather proud of being a mother. If I can say, it is the highest achievement in my life. 

Indeed there are neither trophies nor money to be earned by a full-time mother for her 24/7 works and dedication, but being with my children is such precious a trophy itself.

I am happy to be with my children as much time as possible, before eventually they believe they are grown up enough to leave the nest. Someone said to me 'Yeah, kids this age are growing like mad, and then they'll stop growing, and then it seems they are growing too slow to leave home". Oh well. I'm sure she did not mean what she said. At the moment, I am enjoying having them at home.

My children present liveliness in my life, sprinkling happiness in my heart which I will be holding a lot more time in the future. Our bonding is genuine and it feels wonderful.

This cake represents the rainbow dusts that they have been sprinkling to my life since they were born. All those colours that paint my path life, with them close in my heart, are designed to make me happy. And I am.

This year's Mother's Day is a day to commemorate our love and companionship throughout the years in much more understandings, since they are growing much bigger and much more aware of their surroundings to enable them to understand my existence for them and them for me.

I am thankful they are here in this world to brightening my life and make my life much more meaningful.

I was inspired by Sally's Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake  of Sally's Baking Addiction and I have to alter the recipe to be vegan and gluten-free version. Here is what I do.

First thing first, I am using Healtheries Gluten-Free Baking Mix which is available at the supermarkets and health food shops here in New Zealand. I use rice bran oil for the cake and have to use Olivani margarine for the 'buttercream' (despite of their unhealthy content, so they say--I cannot see if I can use coconut cream since it will take away the vanilla flavour in the cake). I also need to increase the use of leavening agents since vegan baking does not use any eggs, therefore more acid-alkaline ingredients to be used. I use lemon juice, freshly squeezed.

So here we are.

Vegan and Gluten-Free Almond Funfetti Cake
I use three 18cm cake tins for this recipe, spray with cooking oil and line the bases with baking paper.

Cake
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
1/2 cup almond meal
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 1/2 cups caster sugar (NZ Chelsea Sugar company does not use bone char when process the sugar bleaching, so their products are all vegan, FYI--check their website if you like www.chelsea.co.nz)
2 cups almond milk + 2 teaspoons lemon juice, let stand for 5 minutes
1/3 cup rice bran oil
Egg replacer: 1 Tablespoon flaxseed powder + 3 Tablespoons water, mix well and let it be thicken
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2/3 cups hundreds and thousands or other sprinkles

Preheat oven to 160C.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and fine salt. Add in almond meal, mix well.
Combine the soured milk, oil, egg replacer, vanilla extract and sugar together, whisk until smooth. Fold in mixed flour. Mix well. Add in sprinkles, mix well. Divide into three tins.
Bake for 20 minutes or until each cake is golden brown and springy to the touch. Remove from tins, transfer to a cooling rack and peel off the baking paper. Let cool before icing.

Vanilla "Buttercream"
230g Olivani margarine (not the lite one, it is not vegan, so I was informed)
3-4 cups Chelsea icing sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Extra sprinkles to decorate

Beat the margarine until fluffy and smooth. Beat in the icing sugar a half cup of the time, until all used. Soften the icing with almond milk a little at a time until the desired spreading consistency. Add in vanilla extract, mix well. Use it for sandwiching and icing the cake. Sprinkle with extra 100s and 1000s or other sprinkles.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi there! I'm Heather and I have a question regarding your blog that I was hoping you could answer! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

marnisetia said...

Beautiful picture & look yummy cake gluten free