July 31, 2014

Kurtos Kalacs: A Homemade Version

Follow Me on Pinterest

First time I heard about kurtos kalacs is as KBB's latest challenge. I'm dared, and so I bake. I thought it was just like butter puff pastry and baked coiled around a certain mold such as creamed horn baking mold shaped like a trumpet. But, it's apparently a little different from it.

We do not need a specific mold to create that coiled tunnel-like shape. Our tool is just wooden-made or metal-made rolling pin, wrapped in tin foil and lined with baking paper. The pastry will be wrapped around it, a coil at a time along the pin.

This Hungarian favourite candy is very unique and I love baking it!

There is no difficulty in making this, except baking it. I know that Hungarians use a specific rotary oven to bake kurtoskalacs or use amber from a specialty open fire oven to achieve that lovely golden caramel colour.

Since, I don't have a rotary oven function and cannot be bothered with using our bbq pit, I just use our conventional oven with method suggested by the recipe we are using.

You can find the recipe at Kristy's blog here.

I have three rolling pins that I can use and they are all wooden. But one of them is too small, so I just use two of them. After wrap them in aluminium foil to avoid scorching them while baking, I line the foil with baking paper. I don't use a metal paper clip since ours are plastics, so I just use baking thread instead. It works well.

The ingredients are pantry- and fridge-friendly: bread flour, eggs, milk, sugar, salt, yeast, and cooking oil. Starting with mixing warm milk, sugar, and yeast together until it's starting to go frothy, we then mixing this mixture into the flour, eggs, and oil together. Knead well. We do not need to add any extra flour. We really don't want to get the dough too dense. The dough that I have got is rather supple although not too tacky. It feels right.

Like any other bakery item using yeast, we need time to let the dough rest for an hour to proof. I manage to squeeze in another chore to fulfill during the resting time.

I came back when the dough is doubled in size. Winter does not hold a yeasty dough to go chill, apparently, since we have a fireplace going a whole day which is heating up the rooms beautifully.

So here we go. With the various length of rolling pins I have, I use two wedges of the dough for the longest one and a wedge each on each end of the shortest one, which then gives me 3 small and 2 long baked kurtos kalacs.

First two trial and error, I use melted butter to brush the pastry before sprinkling the raw sugar on, and baked them on top of a roasting tin. The recipe suggested to brush the bread when it's half-baked, but when it brush off the sugar on it as well. So I thought of another thing to do.

For the next batches of bread, I brush the bread with melted butter, sprinkle the sugar thickly and flatten it a little bit to stick the sugar a bit further into the dough. It works well. As you can see from the photo below, that the sugar crystals stick properly on the bread although I have brushed melted honey on it as well.

I am very pleased with it. Yay! 

Ternyata ngga susah ya bikin roti gula-gula asal Hungaria ini. Yang repot memang cuma cara memanggangnya, tapi bisa kok dibikin di oven biasa seperti oven listrik saya. Nambah satu ilmu nih. Trims ya hosts.

1 comment:

Francesca said...

This is the perfect home made cannoli. I steal the idea, I absolutely do. I have become your follower so I do not lose any recipe. If you want to follow me too. Thank you.